Need working ethernet drivers!!

Ero

My friend recently put together a computer.

his motherboard is the MSI K9N6PGM-F

link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813130067

Anyway, he installed ubuntu linux, but there are no ethernet drivers for linux that we could find for that mobo..

any suggestions???

My friend recently put together a computer.

his motherboard is the MSI K9N6PGM-F

link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813130067

Anyway, he installed ubuntu linux, but there are no ethernet drivers for linux that we could find for that mobo..

any suggestions???

Sure..here is the link to Nvidia for the Geforce 6100 and Nforce 410 series. The link has instructions. This is not a task for a Linux noobie. Your best bet once you download the drivers and print out the instructions is to go to the Ubuntu Forums. You should be able to find some help there. Give the latest Sabayon Linux a shot..it might have the drivers built into the kernel.

Ubuntu is cool but Sabayon is more interesting IMHO.

Have fun :)

You might want to try also if you can not get it to work, plug in a PCI NIC and run an update for the OS. If that built in NIC is not detected...another card should work. The realtek should be supported by the Base drivers. I have tried many NIC's on my linux machine and most will work without any drivers installed.

Hey guys...if the chipset drivers are not in the kernel it won't work well. I did a bit of reading on his MOBO and found that it is really quite old. Many people have had problems getting LINUX (of any flavor to work on it). I see he has not read or responded to any suggestions. He might be reading the LINUX Forums...which is where he really needs to take a look to find someone with a similar chipset (NForce 410/430) and integrated GFX Geforce6100) problem.

just my 2c. :)

I avoid MSI. Their hardware has become too Windows dependent. Flashing BIOS is supposed to be done from within a booted Windows system, and if you so choose to not you get these silly instructions:

4. Extract the BIOS-archive that you have downloaded by double clicking to c:test

5. Boot your system from a Win98 or WinME boot-floppy.

How to make boot floppy in case your don’t have it ready:

For Win9X, You can type [C: format a:/s] from the DOS prompt.

For WinMe, You can make a boot floppy from control panel--> add/remove program-->make boot floppy. Remove autoexec.bat & config.sys file if there's any.

For Win2000, there's no way to make boot floppy, so you have to either use Win9X or WinME boot floppy.

For WinXP, you can make a DOS boot disk. Go to Your Computer, right click drive A:, select Format, select copy system files.

7. When you get the A: prompt, type the following sequence:

C:

cdtest

C:test> awdfl783m BIOS file

(to save or not to save old BIOS is the user’s decision)

8. Reboot your system when prompted

Great, you still need a Windows C: partition! A member of their forum has come up with an obscure workaround, but as such I would avoid it.

Thanks guys. The problem is that he IS a linux noob. I might just tell him to rma the mobo to newegg and get something linux friendly. Any recomendations within that same price range?

never mind, this can be dropped, he installed debian and that recognised it.

sure.. a kernel with the NIC drivers.