Sign in to follow this  
Cluey

Advice and what I might expect to get from this m/b

You can download all sp2 updates directly from the windows update site and slipstream them into an installation cd using nlite.

Here is a good resource for doing just that;

http://smithii.com/?q=node/12

Excellent, thank you for very much for that link, the one I have from a while ago is dead so you saved me a heap of time. :)

I have been searching around for a CPU now, while there is a chance I can pick up a second hand one via a forum I am concerned that if I leave it too long and none come up I will just miss out.

So looking at Ebay I can get an Opteron 170 for about AU$200 or I can get an X2 4200+ for about AU$100.

While the Opteron might have more headroom and has more cache I am not expecting the additional performance to be worth the price.

Your thoughts on this are appreciated.

The X2 4200's were not stellar overclockers, but if you plan on using it at stock clocks and voltages (or just a tiny bit of overclocking) then it would be a solid choice at that price. Can you find an X2 3800 or and X2 4800 instead?

The X2 4200's were not stellar overclockers, but if you plan on using it at stock clocks and voltages (or just a tiny bit of overclocking) then it would be a solid choice at that price. Can you find an X2 3800 or and X2 4800 instead?

The only 939 X2's I can find in Australia, new, are 4200+ ones.

Quite a few stores are advertising them and actually have them in stock.

From what I gathered, talking to a lot of shops last week, the AMD distributor doesn't expect to get any more 939 stuff in.

One of the shops had the Opteron 165 in stock but instead of the AU$130 it was they want AU$370 as they were hard to get now.

At that cost it just isn't worth it.

I have a bid on one on Ebay which runs out in about five hours, if I don't win that I will just pick up the 4200+ for AU$85 + postage.

There are a few places in the US and UK which will ship out selling via Ebay but the pricers aren't great and unless you bid too high it is frustrating waiting to see if you won or not.

I admit I haven't looked at online US shops in a while but last time I was chasing hardware down none of them would ship outside of the US.

I think at the price and availability of the X2 4200 I would just purchase that one new. You'll have the peace of mind that you're dealing with a new cpu, backed by a warranty and probably pretty good customer service depending on where you purchase.

Good luck.

I have been watching Ebay for a few days now and the last second bidding is really frustrating. :(

Just wondering why you were asking about the 3800.

After looking at this summary as far as I can tell the 3800 is the same core as the 4200.

Given that the 4400 and 4800 have the same amount of cache as the opteron's I have been looking for them.

There are a few 3800's up on Ebay for about $10 less than I can get the 4200 from the online shops here.

I may have picked up a second hand 4400 via a forum too, just waiting for confirmation on it.

Not sure if you are aware of the dodgy download limits we put up with in Oz but as a result of them I won't be able to grab the winblows updates until the end of the month so I figured I would watch Ebay for another week and maybe pick up a bargain, no point in having the CPU if I can't use it.

I was only suggesting the X2 3800 as a possible cheaper alternative to pricing over what you might be able to get a 4200 for.

At this point, you should just get whatever you can find at the price you can afford.

Cheers mate.

I managed to pick up an Opteron 165 from Ebay for AU$130 which was about what I was aiming for originally.

It isn't new but it works alright so far, I haven't done a fresh winblows install yet but I did remove the old CPU from device manager to make sure the new one got the right driver installed.

Initial tests had it up to 250*9 with RAM at 5/6 as that is what I had the old single core running at except it had a 10 multiplier.

It has been a long time since I did any tweaking and I had forgotten how long it takes!

One thing which does confuse me though, when I set the RAM to run at 5/6 with an FSB of 250 the BIOS post screen shows it as being DDR 333 and sets the memory timings for the 166 SPD settings, after booting into windows and running CPU-Z it shows the memory running at ~208 with the faster timings from SPD for 166.

I am confused.

While trying to test out what this new memory would do I was using the in-built Memtest, love that feature, and decided to choose 200 FSB and set the memory to run at 250. BIOS post showed DDR 500 as expected but the memory speed in Memtest was 125Mhz.

I am more confused.

Looks like I need to have more of a play to understand or remind myself of what all these settings do.

Thanks for the advice on the CPU it is much appreciated.

Probably ought to do a full cmos clear and reload optimized defaults and then start from there.

Strange about the memory detection thing. I've seen this bug when running four sticks of ram on that board (as BIOS will automatically downclock to the 333 frequency). But haven't ever heard of it happening with just two dimms populated.

Don't worry about the false detection in Memtest.

I would HIGHLY recommend the 0704-2bta bios for your motherboard/cpu combination. Excellent bios for that board (one of the best I've always thought).

Probably ought to do a full cmos clear and reload optimized defaults and then start from there.

Strange about the memory detection thing. I've seen this bug when running four sticks of ram on that board (as BIOS will automatically downclock to the 333 frequency). But haven't ever heard of it happening with just two dimms populated.

Don't worry about the false detection in Memtest.

I would HIGHLY recommend the 0704-2bta bios for your motherboard/cpu combination. Excellent bios for that board (one of the best I've always thought).

I hadn't updated my sig, damn slacker! :(

Earlier in the thread you suggested the 04/06 BIOS so I updated to it before changing CPU's, that is the latest I could find here.

I loaded the optimised defaults although I didn't clear it using the jumper, is that really needed?

Just from doing a google search it would appear that the 0704-2bta is a beta BIOS.

If it is still beta after all this time that makes me wonder why. ;)

What advantages would it have over the latest release version?

One thing which concerns me when I go and download the BIOS files is the instructions telling me to use an older version of the Winflash utility than the latest one which has a download link at the top of the list.

Remark : Please update the latest driver for Non-RAID mode SATA DVDROM device on DFI official drivers Website.

That has me confused as the BIOS seems to be updating the SATA ROM as well, I don't have a SATA optical drive and it doesn't indicate why it is needed. Is this just a newer driver for winblows?

The memory diver speed setting is confusing, apparently my memory can real run CL2.5 at 200 Mhz even though the SPD says to run CL3.

In CPU-Z it shows it running at 208.6 Mhz with 2.5/3/3/6/7 with 1T Command Rate so I guess I was lucky with it.

Looking in the thread google coughed up about the beta BIOS I came across a post you made linking to a post about Odd Divisor Correct, after some sleep I will have a look in the BIOS and see if that is on or off, that might explain some of the strangeness.

Something else I noticed was that the Opteron 170 that guy is using is unlocked, I can't choose anything higher than nine for my 165 so I am wondering if I need to change something to be able to.

My memory isn't what it used to be, I thought all Opteron's were unlocked.

It also looks like there is a lot more to overclocking this thing than I remember.

The date on mine was 0551 and I have no idea if that is good or bad, it is younger than my old 3200+.

I should have written the rest of the data down before I stuck the water block on it!

anytime you set the ram divider, the startup readings will reflect the DIVISOR, you lower the divider some more, it will show even lower....

as far as the 0704-2bta bios, it will forever stay beta. it is a bios that was modified by users to work BETTER, DFI really has nothing to do with it.

trust me, the bios works just fine...

hope this answers some of your questions.

laterzzzz....

I loaded the optimised defaults although I didn't clear it using the jumper, is that really needed?

Only if you find out after the fact that your BIOS flash is corrupted :)

Before flashing BIOS, I always clear the CMOS and load defaults immediately before and immediately after the flash. If you're not having any problems don't worry with it. But it is a good practice to keep in mind for future BIOS flashes. Never, ever, ever flash a BIOS when your system is overclocked though.