Sign in to follow this  
Cluey

Advice and what I might expect to get from this m/b

I haven't looked at PC hardware for a long time, I built this system a while ago and haven't needed to touch it since apart from solving my RAM problems.

I updated my signature to what I think I have so here are some additional notes on my hardware.

I think I have the Ultra-D, it has the two 16x slots and I know I didn't buy the SLI as I never planed on going SLI but I like the component layout on these boards as it made plumbing my H2O cooling much easier.

I never expected to use the 6600gt this long, I expected to upgrade to something newer but nothing as has come along which was such a no brainer buy since, the only thing I think is worthwhile going for is an 8800 based card but they are currently out of my price range.

It also helps that I don't do anything too intensive these days but TF2 might change that.

As noted in my signature I am using one gig of some fairly generic RAM, when I put this system together I bought some expensive low latency RAM which was supposed to be really good but didn't agree with the motherboard.

Strange thing was it worked fine with some really tight timings for about six months and then I had stability problems. I had a friend working in a PC shop and went in there one afternoon and we tracked it down to the RAM and I ended up with a this RAM while I sorted things out with my other stuff.

It turned out I couldn't do anything with my old RAM and as the PC was working I just stayed with this stuff, apathy :S

I can't even remember what the expensive RAM was and I have moved house since, its in a box around here somewhere...

Onto what I was after help with.

I am considering doubling the RAM and getting an X2 CPU before they become unavailable.

I vaguely remember reading that getting four sticks of RAM running can be awkward. I have a friend who has some more generic PC3200 RAM lying around unused, if I grab that will I lose my brain trying to get it to work?

What is the expected lifetime of my motherboard?

Should I just bite the bullet and upgrade it as well as the CPU or just go for the CPU?

I am not totally convinced that I will get huge benefits from an X2 CPU as I really only play World of Warcraft and browse the net with the PC these days but Teamfortress2 will probably change that.

Hello,

Do not bother trying 4 sticks, it probably wont work and with a Dual core CPU the chances are even less.

How much will is cost you to upgrade to X2 939 and 2x1GB DDR kit?

Vs

Going for new board, new CPU and DDR2?

Insanely inexpensive if you can find near your locale for similar prices;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103052

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231047

If you upgrade you may need to consider a new PSU either way you go.

The NF4 Ultra-D is a jewel of a board. IMHO one of the best motherboards DFI ever made and I still have one in service to this day.

Hello,

Do not bother trying 4 sticks, it probably wont work and with a Dual core CPU the chances are even less.

How much will is cost you to upgrade to X2 939 and 2x1GB DDR kit?

Vs

Going for new board, new CPU and DDR2?

Thanks for that, I had a feeling trying four sticks of RAM might try my patience.

Over here in Oz the 939 X2's are starting to dry up which is why I thought I should ask for advice.

I can get an X2 4200+ for around AU$100 which isn't too bad, its also the only 939 X2 I have found.

I also found an online shop in Oz which has Opteron's, I see no point in staying with a single core CPU if I do upgrade it.

The dual core Opteron's were AU$170 and AU$215, for the 170 and 175 models (2 & 2.2gig).

I have no idea if this would be a better CPU to go for, I only bring it up as I thought you guys would be able to tell me more.

This is the online list of the only place I have seen Opteron's.

I hadn't looked at RAM pricing until now as I thought I might be able to do it for no cost with four sticks.

Looking at the same online shop, I haven't looked further yet but these guys seem to have a larger range compared to others I have glanced at, DDR and DDR2 price lists.

Looking at that there is the generic random brand option or Corsair ones.

For 2gig of Corsair Value Ram in DDR it is about AU$145.

For 2gig of Corsair Value Ram in DDR2 it is about AU$90.

From that it would appear that 2gig of RAM will cost me about AU$55 more in DDR, so the cost difference is down to the CPU plus motherboard minus the RAM difference.

AU$245 for an X2 4200+ and 2gig of RAM vs I'm not sure what I should get if I upgrade it all.

This also goes back to my question about motherboard longevity, should I be considering a replacement or can I expect another year or two of flawless operation?

So breaking that down further it comes down to how much extra performance I would get going from an x2 4200+ to something newer.

I know the newer Intel stuff is doing really well, especially in benchmarks, but how much of that will I notice without running benchmarks?

With this video card very little would be my guess, but the video card will get upgraded soonish.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Cluey,

Ditching my NF4 Ultra-D, X2 4800 and 2gb of Mushkin DDR 500 Redlines and going C2D was the best upgrade I've done in a long time. Now don't get me wrong. One of my kids is still using that Ultra-D rig to this day and it is a flawless system. Never a single problem out of it (save for replacing a power supply once). Other than that it runs 24/7. Folding at Home, school work, occasional gaming etc.

I've noticed the biggest improvements with my current rig doing video encoding, audio editing, dvd burning and gaming. It runs and it's fast. But I could do the exact same thing on my old Ultra-D rig too, just took a little more time and my in-game frame rates on some titles (like FEAR, BF2 and CoH) were slower.

If you want to spend some cash get you a good P35 board and a Q6600 with some good memory.

If you want to save some cash, just stick with the Ultra-D upgrade.

Cheers.

A bit of thread necromancy here.

I still haven't changed anything due to indecision and worry about finances.

I think if I leave it any longer I won't be able to get a CPU easily, the x2's are already getting hard to get in Oz.

While looking around today I noticed one store has:

AMD OPTERON UP DUAL CORE 165 OSA165CDBOX, Socket 939

It is only 30% more than a 4200+ x2.

Which would be the better buy assuming the motherboard will work with an Opteron?

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Your motherboard will work with an Opty processor. If I were you I'd flash to the 0406 BIOS before installing the Opty though.

The Opty 165's usually have a bit of headroom in them if you're into overclocking. If it were my money I'd spring for the 165.

Your motherboard will work with an Opty processor. If I were you I'd flash to the 0406 BIOS before installing the Opty though.

The Opty 165's usually have a bit of headroom in them if you're into overclocking. If it were my money I'd spring for the 165.

Thanks wevsspot.

I thought the extra cache would be better than a couple of hundred megahertz.

My memory is trying to tell me that Opterons are not multiplier locked, am I going senile already?

Corsair DDR 2GB PC-3200/400 (2x1GB) Value Select Ram (VS2GBKIT400C3) seems to be about the only decent memory I can get easily, the Corsair site actually comes up with that for the motherboard so I hope I don't have the same problems I had with my expensive Corsair RAM.

I grabbed that BIOS as you suggested and I guess I should bite the bullet and do a clean winblows install, its about due for one anyway and I expect it will throw a hissy fit if I change the CPU to a dual core one.

hehe, wetting yer appetite a bit more...

check sig, most of the 165's do have some enormous headroom, you really can't go wrong....waiting any longer will make things more difficult to obtain...

as far as performance versus an AM2 setup, they are not that far apart....go for the 939 upgrade, then save for the next redo when quad core starts to be more available....ie, MB choices is a biggie in this arena, need more.....

laterzzzz...

I like clean Windoz installs :)

I also think the Opty is a fine choice.

Usually can't go wrong with Corsair memory and you will find excellent support for Corsair memory right here at the Street.

Good luck on your upgrade. Keep us posted.

I like clean Windoz installs :)

I also think the Opty is a fine choice.

Usually can't go wrong with Corsair memory and you will find excellent support for Corsair memory right here at the Street.

Good luck on your upgrade. Keep us posted.

I just found out that the person I ordered the Opteron 165 from can't get it but didn't contact me to let me know. :(

As a result I found out by ringing them to find out if it had arrive so I could pick it up tomorrow.

In the week this took to happen the remaining stock in Oz has dried up so I am looking at X2 4200+ again.

I did pick up RAM from a friend but had to go with Kingston as they didn't have any Corsair DDR stuff and they don't sell enough of it to justify getting more in.

The RAM has made a noticeable difference to ALT-TAB responsiveness so I am looking forward to a further difference with a dual core.

I have been avoiding doing a windows reinstall for a while even though I expect it would also make a large difference in responsiveness, I used to do them quite regularly but haven't found XP needs it like 9x did.

I have a custom install CD which I will need to update with newer drivers as it is quite dated now, I slipstreamed SP2 into it and a couple of other updates but now there are significantly more.

Do you know of a simple way of getting all the updates without just letting it do it automatically after I get it back up?