2GB to 4GB Upgrade with OCZ Plat. problem !

So about a year ago i bought a pair of 1GBx2 sticks. OCZ PC3200 DDR400 Platinum Edition. These sticks have the label v1.0 on them.

Well until recently i bought the same pair of sticks to fill my slots to 4GB. They are the same exact sticks but they seem alittle bigger than the v1.0. And obviously they are a different revision.

When i try to insert all 4 sticks in the slots and boot, the computer just gives a black screen and beeps continuously. I can boot using my new 2GB sticks just fine. But when i combine all 4 It will not boot.

Is there a setting in the bios or some fix i can do to get all 4 sticks to work, being the same exact sticks, but different revisions?!

EDIT:

So i got all 4 sticks in now working. running these settings...

200mhz

CAS 2.5

2T

256clocks

BUT cpu-z is the only thing that reads 4096MBytes of Memory. While my BIOS and Vista still only reads 2046MBytes.

Whats the deal??

Hello,

The CAS programming in the SPD of the sticks is probably different, you can test like this:

I will assume that you have kept each Kit (pair) separate and that they are not mixed up.

Clear the CMOS on the board

Insert 1 kit (2 sticks) into the orange Slots

Go into the bios and set the 4 main timings (CAS-Trcd-Trp-Tras) to Auto then save and exit.

Boot to Memtest (just enable it on the Genie Bios page, then reboot.)

Note the timings that are displayed

(info on what you should see is here:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/sh...698&postcount=6)

Now power down the machine

Clear the CMOS again and swap sticks (replace with other kit and again put it in the orange slots)

Go into the bios and set the 4 main timings (CAS-Trcd-Trp-Tras) to Auto then save and exit.

Boot to memtest.

Note the timings....are they the same as the other kit?

If the 2 kits have different CAS timings, you see issues like this with this board.

Send me an email (link in Sig) and I can fix it so that the bios will see all 4GB of ram.

Hello,

The CAS programming in the SPD of the sticks is probably different, you can test like this:

I will assume that you have kept each Kit (pair) separate and that they are not mixed up.

Clear the CMOS on the board

Insert 1 kit (2 sticks) into the orange Slots

Boot to Memtest (just enable it on the Genie Bios page, then reboot.)

Note the timings that are displayed

(info on what you should see is here:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/sh...698&postcount=6)

Now power down the machine

Clear the CMOS again and swap sticks (replace with other kit and again put it in the orange slots)

Boot to memtest.

Note the timings....are they the same as the other kit?

If the 2 kits have different CAS timings, you see issues like this with this board.

Send me an email (link in Sig) and I can fix it so that the bios will see all 4GB of ram.

Ok i will try this but one thing...

the new sticks of ram i bought have a larger heatspreader. So i can not fit the stick in the closest orange slot to the cpu cause my zalman heatsink is in the way. Only my older smaller sticks ive had for a year now can fit into the orange slots. Can i still do the testing with the yellow slots?

Yes, but sometimes you might find it difficult to boot up in the yellow slots.

I sent you an email.

After doing exactly what you said i got

2-3-2-5 for my older v1.0 sticks

and 2.5-3-2-5 for my new sticks

what bios configurations do i need to make at this point?

Go back to the settings you listed in the first post.

those settings did not allow all 4GBs of ram to be noticed in the BIOS or Vista plus...

those settings are abit slow, i just found some random settings on a thread on this forum and used them. Is there a way to have it run at 1T and 2.5-3-2-5 settings??