ultra-d will only work with single cpu memory combo

Hi I've had this mobo for about 2 years now with a venice 3200 e3 and 2x 512 ddr400 g.skill zx running perfect from the first day, no glitch wahtsoever it even overclocked to 2700 mhz cpu and 234 ddr . I bought a 3800 x2 e4 wanting to upgrade to dual core but it would not work no matter what settings I tried in the bios for memoryor bios version( even tried 704-2bta). The e3 def voltage was 1.4v while for the dualcore the default voltage is 1.35 v. I would boot with default 1.35 v but would fail windows boot or would fail mid install windows. I also bought a pair of 2x 1gb twinmos ddr400 which at first would seem ok only with the 3200 in but would bsod after a while like 30 mins. I tried running memtest from bios and in each case I wouldn't get errors after 2 full passes when I had in the x2 but it would still bsod when playing games ( this was with voltage at 1.4v for the x2) orthos stable for couple of hours , but after 5-7 mins in a game it would make a constant beeping form the speakers and then lock up. I tired removing the x-fi extreme music which worked perfectly before and it would no longer beep just freeze and bsod with on board audio. Without any sound card ( or on board disabled it wouldn't freeze)

Is it possible that after never changing cpu and memory for 2 years it will not world with any other components? As soon as I installed 3200 and gskill back problems were gone. The x2 and 2x 1gb kit is working perfectly now in an asrock 939nf6g-vsta.

So please if anyone had an experience like this please share , any input is apreciated.

Have you tried upping the voltage a bit more when running the new processor? I had similar issues at 1.4v but 1.425v took care of them when going from my 3000+ to a Opteron 165.

A system thats had the same components wouldn't have any effect on it not being able to take new components. After changing them you should do a CMOS clear, set the BIOS to default, and re-enter your settings however - especially if you're overclocking.

thanks for the reply, and for reading my long post , I cleared the cmos each time before switching components, also upping the voltage, I tried with 1.45v for the x2( stock vcore is 1.35) but same problems. What seems odd is that the x2 and the 2 gb kit work perfectly in another board.

I have also an old pIII 500 mhz machine that behaves the same , worked for a couple of years with the same components but if I swap memory or tried dvd rom or cdrw instead of the cdrom it has it won't recognize all the memory or won't recongnize the hdd or won't boot( ata drives configured correctly by jumpers).

I haven't tried flashing the bios with the new components in as I'm afraid it will reeboot in the middle of flashing and screw up the board.

hello

the rated timings for the g.skill are 2 3 3 6 , I don't remember the subtimings but I posted on the g.skill support forum and I set them to their suggestion ( they posted a couple of screenshots) , also I am using orange slots( also tried yellow but didn't make a difference) and always had all connectors plugged in the board.

try these timings,

GENIE BIOS Setting >DRAM Configuration

DRAM Frequency Set (MHZ).............200 (DRAM/FSB:1/01)

Command per clock (CPC)..............Enabled

Cas latency (tCL)....................2

RAS to CAS delay (tRCD)..............3

Min RAS active time (tRAS)...........6

Row precharge time (tRP).............3

Row cycle time (tRC).................11

Row refresh cycle time(tRFC).........14

Row to Row delay (tRRD)..............3

Write recovery time (tWR)............2

Write to read delay (tWTR)...........AUTO

Read to write delay (tRWT)...........AUTO

Refresh period (tREF)................AUTO

Write CAS latency (tWCL).............1

DRAM Bank Interleave.................Enabled

DQS Skew Control.....................AUTO

DQS Skew Value.......................0

DRAM Drive Strength..................AUTO

DRAM Data Drive Strength.............AUTO

Max Async Latency....................AUTO

Dram Response........................6ns

Read Preamble Time...................Normal

Idle Cycle Limit.....................5ns

Dynamic Counter......................AUTO

R/W Queue Bypass.....................AUTO

Bypass Max...........................AUTO

32 Byte Granularity..................AUTO

ok, i will try these settings , right now I disconnected the psu and pulled the battery and left the jumper in the reset position I am plannning to leave it for a day. As a note When I flashed the bios I used winflash and after reebot it would not post so I cleared it for 10 min(without pulling battery and psu) and it worked even new settings appeared in bios. The last time I flashed it with T-mod cd to 704-2bta and upon booting it said cmos checksum error loading defaults, so I entered setup and set things up as usual and it was ok( I reset bios to defaults previous to each flash). I think the bios wasn't properly written the previous times as the bios that the board came with didn't support dual core and although it posted x2 3800 2 cores on bootup I don't think it was compatible because it still kept my saved profiles in bios. Also does anyonw know if I could get a bios chip from dfi with latest bios for a cost of course?

thank you

BTW anyone knows if using killcmos would help? would it reset it better than jumper, and or if there is a way to delete the bios and then writing it without a specialized eprom flasher

CMOS reloaded profiles will always remain.

This is what you should do after any BIOS flash,

- Turn off.

- Clear CMOS for a few minutes (5 or 10).

- Then when you power the PC enter the BIOS, Load optimised defaults.

- Go to CMOS reloaded and for every profile save the current settings. (which will write the optimised default settings to each profile).

- Save and exit.

That is the only way to remove all previous BIOS settings and reset the CMOS reloaded profiles.

DFI will be able to send you a BIOS chip. (with latest BIOS)