BIOS Flashing to make an 8600GT turn into an 8600GTS

I need to get some help on this, ASAP please!!! I'm currently "flashing" my GPU's BIOS. I followed every step, made the MS-DOS boot floppy, added in the nvflash files, the new BIOS and a copy of the old BIOS. The boot started, 'A:>' popped up, I typed nvflash -4 -5 -6 new BIOS.rom and it stopped there and the FDD just kept buzzing. I restarted it, typed in the same thing, but just nvflash and its doing the same thing; buzzing with no new command prompt. It's been buzzing for the past 3 minutes and nothing's happening. How long's it supposed to take to flash? What do I do? Please help! I read a thread that it's possible to flash your BIOS to a certain clock to make the computer read it as an 8600GTS, so I'm going to try it. If it doesn't work, then at least I'll have a good clocked GPU.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flashing from a Foxconn 8600GT to an XFX 8600GTS XXX was a great idea! The lowest FPS I get in the F.E.A.R. stress test on max is 20, compared to 15 with my old BIOS. Even though ATItool detects a few artifacts, it doesn't bother my games, they don't CTD, and I don't BSOD compared to when I used to overclock the stock BIOS. I'm going to flash to a much faster 8600GTS. My card doesn't even heat up, it's cool to the touch. Now, I just need something to monitor my GPU's temps (not nVtools..). I won't flash to a card with a different arcitechture though. I don't want to kill it, lol. At least I can now sell my card for a good used GTS price :).

Ok, I successfully flashed my Foxconn 8600GT to an XFX 8600GTS XXX.

Where did you get the 8600GTS BIOS?

I have an EVGA 8600GT Superclocked card and am interested in doin exactly what you did,

Never mind. I found the BIOS source and utilities.

Here are the BIOS files and utilities. Nvflash, NiBiTor, and whatever else.

http://www.mvktech.net/component/option,co...tory/Itemid,26/

Thanks for reply man!

I got the utilities and the boot disk. That wasn't a problem did that when I flushed my dell's xps m1710 7950gtx. I just couldnt find a bios file for 8600gts with 512Mb rather than 256. My 8600gt is 512MB, i know its a crappy card but it on my work computer so who cares, but can I flush 512Mb card with 256MB firmware without killing it, or lowering the memory readout? Or am I just beeing an idiot?

Sorry for the late reply. The card has to have the same exact physical qualities. Meaning, same memory-bit interface and same ammount of VRAM. I don't know if you can flash DX9 cards to be DX10, I never heard of that yet. Since your card is a 256-bit interface, it will be hard flashing it to an 8600GTS, those only have 128-bit interfaces. If you wait untill October 29th, you can flash your card to an 8800GT (those cards will have 256, 512, or [maybe] 1024MB or VRAM and a 256-bit interface) and you will have 8800GT stuff on a 7950GT.