Overclockable?

I got this RAM from my dad after he sold his G5 and went Mac Pro, seems to work fine. Now I would like to find the overclocking ability of these. They are Micron 46V64M8-5B D chips. double sided, couldn't find much on these kinds of chips or there overclockability.

Micron IC's are generally pretty good clockers. Reduce your cpu multiplier, set your RAM at 1:1 ratio and start pushing up your FSB/HTT. When you hit a wall increase the vdram just a bit and start pushing again. Make sure to run Memtest and Prime95 or Orthos along the way to confirm RAM and memory subsystem stability at the clocks you are running. The latest version of Prime95 has support for multi-core processors.

I usually run tests #5 and #8 for 20 or more passes. If those come back clear I run the whole series (tests 1-8) overnight. If those pass then I've got at least some confirmation that my memory is still stable.

Remember the old motto though "cpu clocks are king". I always try to get the best clocks out of my processor and even underclock my memory a little if need be in order to ensure I get the most out of the cpu.

I got this RAM from my dad after he sold his G5 and went Mac Pro, seems to work fine. Now I would like to find the overclocking ability of these. They are Micron 46V64M8-5B D chips. double sided, couldn't find much on these kinds of chips or there overclockability.

Alex,

I found a good article on some memsticks with the same chips onboard as yours. It is a good read.

Bottom line is that what you have gotten out of them so far is impressive for value DRAM:). I would check out the timings this guy is using and give them a try. Then run memtest on each stick with the new settings. I am unaware if the PCB is the same as yours. What do your memsticks have on the PCB?

cheers,

Eric

Well..what I mean is that I really can't see them physically...a bit difficult. :)

You can test each stick individually and if they pass without errors then both at the same time. I would try both 1T and 2T Command rate to see which does better. I would expect that 2T will do more for you.

cheers

Eric