RAID 0 problems??

Two weeks ago, had XP fail to boot. "missing hal.dll, please reinstall etc. etc."

Don't remember the exact verbosity, but got by the "healthy array" message/screen before it got to the XP boot failure.

Tried a couple different non-XP boot disc managing programs, replaced the hal.dll file-no change-said toheckwithit and reinstalled XP.

Tried to turn on the box yesterday, hung at the "detecting array" message/screen.

Honestly not sure what to do at this point.

Have a spare WD1600YS laying on the shelf.

Is an air-cooled tower with a 120 fan firing "in" over/through the HDD's on the front, another 120 fan firing "in" in the vicinity of the vid card and a 120 "out" below the PSU. From what I can tell using Everest, all the rest of the temps are OK, dont have HDD temp monitoring.

TTC

Is the rig Prime/Orthos stable?

Oh yea. Put the whole thing together this summer using all new parts, severely smoketested everything at the stock settings and haven't changed anything bios/speed-wise since. Had planned on tweaking things this winter. Probably been a month since I installed any wares.

The RAID 0 isn't a make-or-break thing for me, just thought it would be cool.

Bought the spare HDD, so I would have an identical drive if I had issues down the road. Probably would have bought a larger HDD drive if not planning on doing the RAID deal. Thought of doing 0+1 when I put it together, but would/will have to do some minor case mods to do it-bottom front of the case is pretty busy.

Nothing critical on this machine, just bums me to be doing 2 XP installs in 2 weeks on a relatively new machine.

Not familiar enuff with the whole on-board pseudo-RAID deal to have a gut feeling whether it is a HDD glitch or a mboard glitch.

Had a feeling with the initial failure to boot that it might be RAID induced, but had the "healthy array" detected message.

This time, with it stuck on searching for the array?? Am feeling that is another clue maybe.

I would try running some tests on it. Get UBCD and run memtest and Drive Fitness Test, see what comes up.

Tried to turn it on tonite, scans through all the installed drive stuff, with the hit DEL to enter setup down at the bottom, then hangs at the "detecting array" screen.

Hitting DEL doesn't get me into BIOS setup, hitting F10 (?looked it up, can't remember for sure) doesn't get me into RAID setup.

Already had a UBCD, stuck it in, same result. Stuck in a memtest "boot" floppy, same result.

Pretty sure the boot order (before it died) was FDD, CD, then the array.

Planning to yank the thing out of the cabinet, check the error code display thingie (am getting a single audible beep code) clear the CMOS, try again. Yank out all the pieces parts, and try again.

Sigh.

• 2 weeks later...
Tried to turn it on tonite, scans through all the installed drive stuff, with the hit DEL to enter setup down at the bottom, then hangs at the "detecting array" screen.

Hitting DEL doesn't get me into BIOS setup, hitting F10 (?looked it up, can't remember for sure) doesn't get me into RAID setup.

Already had a UBCD, stuck it in, same result. Stuck in a memtest "boot" floppy, same result.

Pretty sure the boot order (before it died) was FDD, CD, then the array.

Planning to yank the thing out of the cabinet, check the error code display thingie (am getting a single audible beep code) clear the CMOS, try again. Yank out all the pieces parts, and try again.

Sigh.

Found the problem. one of the HDD's was crapped out. Unplugged them one at a time, until the computer was able to enter the BIOS/setup screen.

Made sure the other drive "worked" using the same SATA port, and the same cable as the "dead' one.

FWIW. once I got into the BIOS screen, I disabled RAID, and plugged the drive back in a booted. Still hung at the bottom of the first screen, showed both the HDD's as being there, but would not enter setup.

Plugged in my spare HDD, setup another array, am installing windoze again...