Purchase Advice

Voltes-5

Thanks for all the replies. I myself have had great satisfaction with the Sennheisers I have own in the past and will eventually get another set. But I wanted to see or hear the performance of the Turtle Beach HPA2, I still have my home theater setup around the Lexicon surrond processor and four other power amps to drive the speakers and I tweak it out once in a while with a digital sound meter for optimum performance. I'd really like to see how this HPA2 performs not only on movies but gaming.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got the HPA2 a couple of hrs ago and my first test is with a movie called "HEAT", I wanted it to compare with my home theater system on the shootout after the robbery. My first impression is that the sound is too transistory, I guess I expected too much of the speakers on the headset, and I can hear a bit of fizzzy noise coming out of the speakers. I have yet to try it out on gaming.

Awesome scene, very loud lol, love that movie. The wife paid $150 bucks for a new pair of fancy headphones I couldn't tell you the brand right now as I have no idea where they are, but she said in the instructions they will take time to "burn in" and the bass will start to deepen after 50 or so hours, seemed a bit weird to me. My initial thoughts were the same as yours, bit on the hissy side.

Guest element

Happens with the Senns. Even the lower end units benefit from a good thrash in the first 1-2 months. They wear in like a good shoe or car.

My 212's are sounding better and better all the time. Till I put a pair of 515's or 555's on lol. Brings me back to reality a bit. :sweat:

the reviews I read didn't say anything about that... maybe they were sent a broken-in set to try out...

I don't know how much stock to put in that break-in theory though... after that long you'd be used to it and so wouldn't notice it anymore ^^

and Heat is one awesome movie :-)

I think you would have to do a bit of tweaking of sound levels on the channels etc. to get a good balance. Also if you have the best headphones or speakers in the world they'll still sound . if your sound source/ amp isn't outputting a clean signal.

What source are you using onboard, PCI add on?

I think you would have to do a bit of tweaking of sound levels on the channels etc. to get a good balance. Also if you have the best headphones or speakers in the world they'll still sound . if your sound source/ amp isn't outputting a clean signal.

What source are you using onboard, PCI add on?

I am 99% sure that is the case man. I am using the onboard so now I will finaly get me a sound card which I have been putting off since my Dell days, he he he lol, and its got to be something really good and maybe then I can really get an acurate opinion on this head set.

So far I have played Quake 4, World in Conflict, FEAR and a couple of others with the headset and man, its really loud that my wife is irritated by it, but then I love it because I love it LOUD, he he he. Tweaking the balance between the Front L/R, Center, Sorround is going to be tricky because it will have to be tweaked while playing, unless I can find my Stereophile CD that have tracks for tweaking the channels. Or maybe I can alternately plug in the corresponding connectors of the headset to the inputs and balance the sound accordingly.

Anyway, I know this have been asked before but I will ask again. What particular sound card is great for sorround gaming or for movies too? I will check out the threads too.

The X-fi series are pretty good. If you need the latest EAX then it has to be Creative. The XRam concept is a bit of swizz I think, the price premium vs the performance gain isn't worth it in my opinion.

I believe the best non-Creative alternative is the Xonar D2. This might be a good option for Vista based on this http://www.custompc.co.uk/news/601381/asus...ve_alchemy.html