Car Debate! G37 or 335i

21 members have voted

1. 1.

• Infinti G37 Coupe
    • BMW 335i Coupe
    • It's a Tie or I have another suggestion

test driving it will definetly tell you which car is made for you

plus, i dont like that stupid clock in the G37 above the radio :S

Sounds like you're on the right track now - it's your call. It is your money and you are gonna have to live with the payments and driving it. Don't let a bunch of people on the internet sway your vote. Who cares if its 20 to 1 against the car you were leaning towards. Everyone has their personal preference, just like I have mine. I know which I would pick, but how does that help you? They are both great cars.

If it is really between these two cars than I would do the following:

1 - Test drive (as mentioned)

2 - Visit a generic car site to see problems mentioned (Edmunds.com used to be good for this, and still might be)

3 - Visit specific sites to see the pros & cons from people who actually own them

Though speaking of stats, one important one I usually see left out...

60 - 0mph.

Edited: 335i #

335i - 102ft

G37 - 113ft

In case anyone was curious since I made a point to bring up. Not a deal maker/breaker on either side. Just stating its a stat I tend to look for.

Stopping power is important to me, so thank you for posting those stats.

Yes, I've been reading around various forums, and I haven't had a chance yet to goto the dealers yet.

Usually, when shopping for a car driving it isn't the most important thing (well it is, and isn't at the same time).

I care about reliability, cost to maintain, etc etc.

I ask online forums, because I can get insights from many different people, who bring up many valid points and idea's.

It helps me figure out what I actually want.

I also should have mentioned, that I only want to pick between these two cars (I'm dead set in these two cars!)

Good question >.:(

Redoubling my search I'm seeing a discrepency in the 335i numbers. Some say 102 and some are posting +-2 of the G37. I'm even seeing discrepency on the same damn site but different articles.

It is always dangerous assuming crap, but I can only assume the G37 takes more to stop with its xtra weight.

At any rate, I think you have to narrow down what you want out of the car you'll be buying. Is the difference in price a big concern? Bang for the buck? Or is it the soul of how the car handles? Reliability? Bad thing is, G37 is still too new to flush a lot of that out. Not too many out there so all you got is fanbois on both side arguing about crap they're assuming of previous years. You should notice a distinct difference between the two cars when driving them. When someone says Car A handles better than Car B,.. maybe it is because this person likes that smooth luxury feel, or maybe it is because they like feeling the road and like the center of gravity the car has. That's why it is always dicey just trusting reviews on handling. Not everyone has the same expectations in handling. Reviews and blogs of people owning them are great for phishing out problems and things to look for when you DO go to the dealer. Maybe the biggest problem owners are complaining about is the size of the windshield and field of view but when you test drive Car A you have zero problem with that. Maybe a few of them are saying the tire roll is bad, so you gotta take a few tight turns to see if they even know what tire roll is or maybe it really is a problem. Does it feel like something a new set of tires can fix or design issue with the car itself that only new tires can diminish. That kind of stuff.

Stopping power does count but acceleration is KING. 60 to 0 is many times faster than 0 to 60 for the vast majority of vehicles. Even a bone stock sedan can stop fairly quickly when needed.

It's the ability to leave a light and everyone else behind that makes driving fun.

My personal favorite is the Mazda RX8 right now. Prices have gone up considerably the last two years as they've added navigation and a six-speed transmission.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/downloadBr...008-pricing.pdf

You can get a used RX8 for a whole lot less and not take the hit on that new car depreciation. A loaded 2005 with 16K miles goes for about $19K around here.

Most are taken very good care of since the buyers appreciate the vehicle.

Stopping power does count but acceleration is KING. 60 to 0 is many times faster than 0 to 60 for the vast majority of vehicles. Even a bone stock sedan can stop fairly quickly when needed.

I wouldn't take any of those number seriously. Keep in mind that no matter how good a driver you think you are, the guys that run these tests do it for a living. (Yeah I know stopping tests are easy, but Roadie is right...they all stop very well anymore, and if you need more than 110 feet for 60-0 then you're following the guy in front of you far too closely and deserve to wreck your car)

And if you are one of the guys that does this for a living, then you know the 0-x times tend to be worthless since you're going to launch like that all of 4 times in the lifetime of the car. Argue it if you want, I'm not going to believe you - show me the receipts for all the tires you buy.

Yes, I drive hard. Wheels spin generally every day I get behind the wheel. But the statistics on those cars are so close (and good, for that matter) as to become meaningless.

Get behind the wheel of both, then decide. Many dealerships will let you take one for a night, even a weekend. That'd be the way to go, in my opinion.

Oh, and personally I'd go with an Audi. But I like style along with performance, so whatever. :)

(Yeah I know stopping tests are easy, but Roadie is right...they all stop very well anymore, and if you need more than 110 feet for 60-0 then you're following the guy in front of you far too closely and deserve to wreck your car)

You guys really believe that? Definitely agree about not following someone too close, but not all cars are built to stop before 110ft from 60mph. Here are 5 cars, different makes with FAR over that amount.

60 - 0mph:

2007 Suzuki SX4 - 132ft

2007 Nissan Versa Hatchback -137ft

2007 Nissan Sentra - 136ft

2007 Saturn SKY Red Line - 130ft

2007 Pontiac G6 GTP Coupe - 137ft

How many more there are I don't know. What's the worst? I dunno that either, but I do know that 27ft difference is HUGE. Which would you rather have behind you?

Again, not saying stopping power is a deal maker/breaker but it IS a stat I look at. If the car has a lot of power but sucks at braking... that is just a bad recipe right there.

I tend to fall more in line with the techno man. I'll drop it and see what kind of balls this thing has and gauge it more on feel than anything else. I use to do the track thing and such but not anymore. Maybe one day that urge will kick in again.

Guest thespin

If you like to drive fast on many different kinds of roads, if you like to feel as though the car is part of you, go with the BMW. BMW also includes required servicing for the 4 years of warranty coverage.

Which would you rather have behind you?

At 60 miles an hour you cover roughly 5,280 feet in one minute.

You are supposed to stay roughly 2 seconds behind the guy in front of you (yeah, we all break that rule from time to time...and yet others do it ALL the time....I hate those people).

So 5280 x 2/60 = 176 feet covered in 2 seconds. So for those cars you have ample room even if the guy in front of you stopped on a dime (and you had the reflexes of...I dunno, Superman or sumthin). Of course it'll also take the car in front of you around the same distance to stop, so those 2 seconds are mostly to allow you enough reaction time to see the brake lights, realize that he isn't just trying to slow down - he's STOPPING, then apply your own.

I'm not too worried about the brakes. Granted, anything is vastly better than what I have now (they're broken, probably a good 500 feet 60-0 AT LEAST) but all it takes is the ability to look ahead of you to know when to start slowing down before you really have to. This applies whether you're just casually driving or weaving through traffic, but keep in mind 2 seconds at 100 mph covers a lot more distance that you still need to be watching.

In any case, you could look at it the other way. What if your car stops too fast for the truck behind you? ;)

I think the 60-0 times become much more relevant when looking at bigger vehicles, especially those that might be towing a few tons behind them. Just for the reason above, most any car is probably going to out stop a half-ton (or larger) pickup truck (I haven't looked, they're actually probably pretty good when dry). But then look at the same stopping distances when pulling 3+ tons behind it. It could become much more critical for a truck to have the brakes to avoid the guy in front of him.

Again, just my opinion. But most things that accelerate well will decelerate more than adequately.

As for your question, a semi would out stop the danvan right now. I'm not worried about getting rear ended, it's the other end I'm concerned with. ;)