Those of you with "socialized medicine"...

Angry_Games

I will continue to come back to this simple question... Why do the people from all over the world come to the US for medical treatment?

hint: It ain't cause we suck at actual health care!

It is because the best doctors and heath care facilitys are there and the only reason there there is because thats where the money is, with the system thats in place so they can charge as much as they like as the insurance companys will pick up the bill, then pass on the costs in the way of increased premiums, this is not a system i would like to be in.

it seems to me after following this thread and commenting on a few of your posts is that you have the attitude "I'm all right jack the rest can go and get f**ked" this is not the society that can sustain those attitudes and be fair to all the population as we are increasing in number with fewer opportunitys there are poeple out there who are honest hard working people and the area's that they are born into might have lost there industry or even have famine and drought(africa etc) are we to forsake those that are less fortunate than us or as a progressive moral society should we not help them.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Socialized medicine scares the crap out of me, and anybody who thinks that the government should take care of them scares me too.

exactly how can a system that works reasonably well in the countrys that have it scare you.

We differ in opinions here because I don't believe that it works reasonably well. True, it would be nice to not pay for emergency room visits, but i don' expect for other people to pay my way. and I sure as hell don't want to pay for other people.

Since when is it our job to take care of our neighbors?

I will continue to come back to this simple question... Why do the people from all over the world come to the US for medical treatment?

You could also ask the same question of the UK, France, Germany, Belgium, Spain, Italy, New Zealand, Australia ect ect ect. The USA believe it or not is not the center of the world in regards to health care, but it does make the most money out of the individuals that use it's system. As i posted before, there are plenty of democratic country's that run nation health systems for the benefit of all the population. Not just fat cat doctors and insurance company's.

Being very selective in what you read from a post, ar'nt you Ex? Which part of "the posts above" does it say ""nationalized" or socialized medicine/health care simply doesn't work in a democratic society" ? Either you are reading a completely different thread, or you are deliberately ignoring what other people are telling you.

Dude, if you can't read and understand your own posts then all is lost.

There is no shortage of dentists in the UK. What there is though is a shortage of dentists that want to work within the NHS. Because our stupid government has imposed unworkable contracts onto NHS dentists. As far as doctors and that go, there are now more of them than at any time since the NHS was set up. I do know through a friend that there is a very bad shortage of Radiographers though, as well as a shortage of Midwives. Those shortages are down to bad managment and constant interference from the government. Much the same as in other countries.

I rest my well founded case on your own words sir!

exactly how can a system that works reasonably well in the countrys that have it scare you.

Working reasonably well and being a complete and utter disaster are in the eye of the beholder.

When my friends in Canada come to the US for medical care there's a problem.

When my family in the UK comes to the US for medical care there's a problem.

When my cousins in France come to the US for medical care there's a problem.

When my friends in Sweden come the the US, I ask that they bring their daughters. Oh wait, that's another story all together. LOL

When the dictator of Cuba has to fly doctors in from Spain to save his life, there's a problem.

I understand the desire that some people have to let the government provide for them cradle to grave. That kind of life might be more than acceptable to you and others.

Letting the government control my access to health care is simply not an option I'm willing to accept by example.

I'm not going to dig up the story but, at one point cancer patients in a particular area of Canada could not get proper imaging and there were extraordinarily long waiting lists due to a shortage of qualified personnel to operate the imaging equipment. At that exact moment in time, you could get your pet any imaging known to man from the privatized pet medical care centers in the same area. It's still going downhill.

Slowly but surely, doctors and trained medical personnel are migrating to areas where they can be properly paid for 8+ years of schooling and make more than minimum wage.

Guest element
I'm not going to dig up the story but, at one point cancer patients in a particular area of Canada could not get proper imaging and there were extraordinarily long waiting lists due to a shortage of qualified personnel to operate the imaging equipment. At that exact moment in time, you could get your pet any imaging known to man from the privatized pet medical care centers in the same area. It's still going downhill.

Slowly but surely, doctors and trained medical personnel are migrating to areas where they can be properly paid for 8+ years of schooling and make more than minimum wage.

Truth, in NZ as well. Two things are needed for Socialized medicine to function. Good/Great Govt funding. And great/Fantastic docs/staff.

In NZ we have the latter. The govt is far too up its own to fund the heath sector correctly.

The Main issue for Kiwis ( New Zealanders), is that The Govt is running a massive surplus. The likes of which we have never seen. Yet the heath system is failing, education sucks, not enough prisons are made/upgraded. In general this can be seen as a political problem, but it's more than that. It's an example of the govt toying with lives IMHO. Just as yours ( US and A) toys with out providing/ enticing the people to look after them selves.

Dude, if you can't read and understand your own posts then all is lost.

I can read and fully understand my posts. As you know full well from my reply to wevsspot post, healthcare worker shortage is a world wide problem and not just limited to country's with a national health service. As you seem to like linking to things to back your "non" case, then have a read of these:

here and here and here. If you have the intention of twisting other peoples post in an attempt to back your own case, then at least get your FACTS right.

I rest my well founded case on your own words sir!

No sir you don't. Your case is niether well rounded or factual and it certainly will not be "rested" by twisting what i write to fit your case.

I notice you still hav'nt answered this:

Health is a basic human right, in the same way that self defence is. Would you advocate people being able to say "i have a gun, so i can defend MYSELF, therfore i'm paying nothing in taxes towards the defence of my country and fellow citizens" ? I think i can guess your answer to that :)

Working reasonably well and being a complete and utter disaster are in the eye of the beholder.

When my friends in Canada come to the US for medical care there's a problem.

When my family in the UK comes to the US for medical care there's a problem.

When my cousins in France come to the US for medical care there's a problem.

When my friends in Sweden come the the US, I ask that they bring their daughters. Oh wait, that's another story all together. LOL

When the dictator of Cuba has to fly doctors in from Spain to save his life, there's a problem.

I understand the desire that some people have to let the government provide for them cradle to grave. That kind of life might be more than acceptable to you and others.

Letting the government control my access to health care is simply not an option I'm willing to accept by example.

i was working on my car the other day got some rust and . in my eye went down to the local health clinic which is government funded out of my taxes got sorted out then went back to work to earn those very same taxes took about an hour all up no forms no middle men earning from it no right wing red neck thinking i'm a sponge .. go figure heh seems to work for me. But Australia is one of the leading medical reserch countrys in the world ,oh and thats goverment funded too.

Ahh well we really should just kill the poor anyway they just get in the way with all there whinging and what not....or we could put them to work in the factorys and cotton field and serving us our cold beverages while we enjoy the sunshine.........oh thats been done before hasn't it

oh and one more point on government medical care my grand mother whose was old and fraile got round the clock care in her older years curtosy of the government and our taxes, following your thinking ex we should just throw her out on to the street even after the many many years that she has contributed to the comunity through taxes and charity work.

oh and one more point on government medical care my grand mother whose was old and fraile got round the clock care in her older years curtosy of the government and our taxes, following your thinking ex we should just throw her out on to the street even after the many many years that she has contributed to the comunity through taxes and charity work.

Dude, that's just plain mean!

DO NOT TWIST MY WORDS TO SUIT YOUR OWN AGENDA!

I never once said I wanted to deny proper health care to anyone. NEVER!

I have only stated that the individual should be responsible for their life and health care.

Why is the concept of self-reliance so foreign to people these days?

Way too many people see the government as the Nanny that should take care of them throughout life.

I'm glad you're satisfied with the level of health care you pay for in taxes. I would prefer to have a bit more control over my life and health.