Sign in to follow this  
rainwood

PS/2 mouse / keyboard

35 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Occasionally I find the threads pertaining to the PS/2 mouse / keyboard problems in other PC hardware forums. I wonder if the PS/2 mouse / keyboard are still popular in the home PC market (most of the mouse / keyboard are the PS/2 at my workplace, though).

Are you still using the PS/2 mouse / keyboard at home?

And why?

I have always used a PS/2 keyboard. Never had a problem with it. The one I use is 7yrs old and works like day one. Is the usb keyboards any better?

p.s. I do use a usb mouse.

Guest Blooz1

Same deal with me! I use a Keytronics keyboard that's 5-6 years old, and I love the "feel" of it. I use a PS2 mouse most of the time because I use a PS2 KVM switch, but I use a Razer Diamondback USB for gaming.

The keyboard is PS/2, but the mouse (trackball) is USB. There's no real reason to use USB for these, it doesn't offer any additional functionality (unless you have a Logitech G15 or something). I only use USB on my trackball so I can plug it into the side of my monitor where it's accessible (I use it for my laptop too, when I'm at home).

Only on installs!

Plenty of reasons to use USB mice/kb ...that is what the new stuff is on. I'm a creature of the night so lighted kb. Really, REALLY hate corded mice - viva la laser cordless mice! Go, go Logitech!

Honestly, I used the PS/2 keyboard & mouse on Mac (Performa ???, I forgot the model number…) .

The main reasons that I switched to the USB keyboard/mouse were that

1) I built my first Win PC:

Windows 95 became dominant around my PC environment – I was a student at that time - at my university’s computer lab, my friends’ places ,..etc., the ‘PC’s were being replaced with the Win95 at rapid speed… So I ‘had to’ move to the Windows environment. However, I think that I purchased my first USB keyboard/mouse when I moved to Win98.

2) The ability to do hot-swap

I recall that this became the trend when "Plug&Play" was getting popular on Windows 98 environment.

I still keep my old PS/1 keyboard (not from my old Mac – the one that I bought when I build my first Win PC); the PS/2 keyboard came handy when the USB one didn't work when manipulating the BIOS program in my DFI NF590 SLI M2R/G mainboard. After I switched to my current mainboard, my USB keyboard works in the BIOS program, so I do not have to use the PS/2 keyboard.

I use the USB cordless/wireless mouse for years – simply they fit in my PC environment and work pretty well, but I decided not to use the USB cordless/wireless keyboards any more – they were not catch up my typing speed- I tell you, I smashed the wireless keyboard in half when I found a typo in the copy of the document that I submitted on line for my very important business deal.

I voted yes, but I should have added, the 'both' option first and I would have voted that. I strictly use PS/2 keyboards when overclocking or for initial setup, since some BIOSs have quirks with their USB counterparts. But I also use USB peripheals on my other rigs, that don't need to access the BIOS often.

Guest Lavell

I use the PS/2 keyboard and USB mouse. I find myself booting to safe mode alot for driver cleaning. When I had a USB keyboard, I had trouble getting to safe mode. Now with a PS/2 keyboard, I don't have that problem.

Guest erico

I use a USB mouse and PS/2 keyboard. I had a nice usb G15 keyboard but 6 y/o daughter spilled soft drink on it and killed it.