Thermalright ultra-120 extreme + LP UT SLI-DR 939

Guest jazzy_merged

Hi, Guys, i wonder if this thermalright ultra-120 extreme will fit in my DFI LanParty SLI-DR s939.

I know that i have to buy a s939 braket + fan, but other than that??

Thermalright say it will fit all 939 board, but again, on the compatibility board, mine is not there.

And lastly, does anyone know if my board backplate is in plastic or metal?

I don't want to have bad surprise...

jazzy -

From everything I've seen on this cooler (including the chart at Thermalright!), it will only fit Intel dual + quad-cores and AMD AM2 boards, not older 939 boards such as your SLI-DR. When Thermalright says "all", they are speaking of brands, such as Asus or DFI.

BTW, your backplate is plastic.

(I know this is probably a disappointment, but regular 939 boards are considered "older technology"......)

I've fit a Ultima-90 on my board, the "little brother" to the eXtreme.. but if you buy the socket bolt through kit and use the metal backplate that comes with it, it will work. Might take some time though. It took my an hour to figure out a way to do it...

I have the extreme and a s939 board. Just get a metal backplate, which is also available from Thermalright, replace and mount. Works no problem on my rig. The SLI-DR should have very similar layout so i reckon it's not a problem at all.

For the DFI's usually come with plastic backplate, easily identified if u see the bottom is yellow in colour (mine is). The metal one should look like this,

http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_su...lation_k8bp.htm

I have the exact same one, it was quite hard to purchase it in Aussie though.....almost every shop ran out of stock as it's getting rare >_<.

Dont they have a cushion for the metal backplate as I have the plastic backplate on my 939 I have it in my hand right now. Ide be a little worried about shorting something out with a metal backplate. AS those 120's are kind of heavy arnt they causing flex if you arnt careful. Only using 2 holes that are left to right. My Thermaltake Extreme 12 Volcano was almost to heavy for it as I could watch my MB flex when I first stud it up. BA