"Space Illness" In Peru Found To Have Earthly Cause

Guest Blooz1_merged

I don't know if anyone here caught any articles about the meteorite hitting the ground in Peru last weekend, and some bystanders becoming sick with what some feared was an illness caused by extra-terrestrial germs?

It turns out that the illness was caused by a reaction between the super-cold space matter and ground water tainted with naturally occurring arsenic!

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/09/2...d/index.html?hp

It kinda reminds you of the first crater in "War Of The Worlds" - another case of fiction becoming reality!

"super cooled" seems wrong. when an object enters earths atmosphere from space, friction super heats the object to the point of vaporization. one could surmise that matter from space, once it hits earth should hardly be super cooled, or am i misreading... :drool:.

BTW, i cant read the article, get a server timed out thing, wont work on any computer here it seems... :(

"super cooled" seems wrong. when an object enters earths atmosphere from space, friction super heats the object to the point of vaporization. one could surmise that matter from space, once it hits earth should hardly be super cooled, or am i misreading... :drool:.

BTW, i cant read the article, get a server timed out thing, wont work on any computer here it seems... :(

Here ya go.

The illness was the result of inhaling arsenic fumes, according to Luisa Macedo, a researcher for Peru’s Mining, Metallurgy, and Geology Institute (INGEMMET), who visited the crash site.

The meteorite created the gases when the object’s hot surface met an underground water supply tainted with arsenic, the scientists said.

Numerous arsenic deposits have been found in the subsoils of southern Peru, explained Modesto Montoya, a nuclear physicist who collaborated with the team. The naturally formed deposits contaminate local drinking water.

“If the meteorite arrives incandescent and at a high temperature because of friction in the atmosphere, hitting water can create a column of steam,” added José Ishitsuka, an astronomer at the Peruvian Geophysics Institute, who analyzed the object.

yes, it should have been "super heated" not "super cooled"

The best part of the whole incident is how the government's reaction is "how can we make some money off of this thing?"

• 1 month later...