CPU upgrade...

herc1979

Assuming that you're keeping your current motherboard and planning to overclock, a dual core chip is the way to go. I don't know what your budget is, but I'll provide a couple of samples.

The "Toledo" CPUs overclock very well. NewEgg has one for cheap. I have this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103053

The Opteron CPUs have been famous here on the forum. I don't own 1, but everyone here says that they too overclock very well. NewEgg has these as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....&name=Dual-Core

The big difference between these 2 is that this Toledo has 2 x 512kb L2 cache while the Opteron has 2 x 1MB L2 cache. They both have a locked multiplier. Either way you go, make sure you get a dual core chip.

If you do decide to get the top chip for Socket 939, you would have to get the FX-60. I have one of these. It's a very solid chip. But you will only find those on Ebay. I hope this helps.

Guest LookBackX2
The big difference between these 2 is that this Toledo has 2 x 512kb L2 cache while the Opteron has 2 x 1MB L2 cache. They both have a locked multiplier. Either way you go, make sure you get a dual core chip.

Actually the Toledo core is what is on all dual core 939 chips. I have an X2 4400+ Toledo w/1Mx2 L2 cache, as well as the Opteron 170 in my sig which is a Toledo core w/1Mx2 L2.

Maybe this will make it a little easier to decide, I would grab the 165 or 170 on newegg. More than likely you will get a LCB9E stepping, which OC fairly well. If you want the best chance for a high OC on a 939 dual core chip, search forums and E-bay for a CCBBE stepping. They have demonstrated the best OCing potential of any other 939 stepping. Not to discount the LCB9E, there just aren't as many out there, as enthusiasts that are active on forums tended to already have a Core 2 setup when the LCB9E's started rolling out.

Good luck.:rolleyes:

Guest r3d c0m3t

As mentioned already, the top of the line CPU for 939 is the FX-60 and while it is blisteringly fast, it's only drawback is the amount of heat it's going to output. If you want to clock higher than 2.7 or 2.75, you'll need a water-cooling kit and if worse comes to, a phase change cooler. Aside from that, another good stepping to go after is what I have - CCBWE.

Those are also going to be quite difficult to spot, unless you search around eBay. My 4400+ has shown great potential, the highest I've ever gotten it to date is 2750, but it wasn't stable due to the RAM timings, but if you're willing to go on a BIOS adventure for a few weeks to a month, than the CCBWE is another fine suggestion.

Seems like I have some work to do myself, I've been at 2500 for the past several months, but I'm looking for that additional 250MHz OC. :sweat:

• 2 weeks later...