Sign in to follow this  
hlygrail

Is this statement pure crap or what? (re:AMD 3200+ to X2 dual-core up

I'm planning on upgrading an older AMD Athlon64 3200+ (Winchester 90nm) to a dual-core X2 4200+ (sadly, the highest I can go on the Socket939). I'm capable enough to change the ACPI driver to SMP mode, but someone made mention of a power supply not being capable enough or getting along with an X2, so I'd like to understand that better.

My rig details are in my sig below (and yes, I'm probably still running BIOS 302 from 2005.... it's been stable, and I purposely left it the @&$# alone -- I know I'll need to revisit the 3/10/2005 BIOS for an X2).

Except for the recent GeForce 7950GT addition (was running a GeForce 6800) and the addition of a 500GB drive a month ago, everything has been rock-solid and unchanged for more than 2 years, running 24x7x365 on UPS-protected power.

I'm having a hard time finding any legitimate basis for the latter part of this specific post: http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread...6081#post616081.

Why wouldn't a 500W PSU (much less a 550W) be enough to drive the above system with only changing to an X2 dual-core CPU? As much as I truly believe that this DFI mobo won't run with anything below a good, solid 500W PSU w/ solid dual-12V rails, this still sounds like a fanboy statement to me.

Can anyone back this statement up, or is it just fluff?

I would have thought that the .sig at the time of the thread posting would be a permanent record, but if you're saying that if I change my sig, it changes on every past forum post I've made... I guess I'll buy that.

Just want to know whether I really need to shell out for a new PSU if I go to dual-core. My quick math (and various PSU calculators on the Interweb) says I'd be pulling about 420-440W out of this one *after* moving to the dual-=core X2 4200+. That's higher than I had planned, but the GeForce 7950GT was an impulse buy -- when it got to $139, I couldn't resist. :)

Anyone have a ballpark on what the exact power consumption difference between a Winchester 3200+ and a Toledo X2 4200+ is?

When you change your sig it changes it in all posts. And as far as your PSU I suggest trying it first. Though with 7 Hdd's I wouldn't doubt that you could see problems with it.

When you change your sig it changes it in all posts. And as far as your PSU I suggest trying it first. Though with 7 Hdd's I wouldn't doubt that you could see problems with it.

3 of the drives are external (USB2, Firewire). 2x200GB and 1x500GB SATA and a 300GB IDE are all internal currently. I may retire the 300GB to other duties if need be, though I doubt the 12-15W it pulls at the most is a make-or-break number.

I'll probably order the X2 4200+ since it's a no-brainer price ($65) and the worst that happens is I'll have to shell out for a 700W PSU if it doesn't fly. Thanks for the head-check.

check this thread out, scroll down, more than likely the comment regarding the PS you have is referenced, here:

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread...fi+power+supply

look for this comment:

These are Very Quiet PSU's:

NOT recommended for high-end setups (ie: dual core cpu + SLI/Crossfire)

SeaSonic S12-500 ATX12V 500W

From $105: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...0W&btnG=Search

SeaSonic S12-600 ATX12V 600W

From $140: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?so...0W&sa=N&tab=wf

One special note, if you require extreme quiet & very high power the the new Seasonic M-12 600W/700W should be available soon!.

Seasonic: http://www.seasonicusa.com/

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

given the boatload of HD's and your vid, plus a dual core, yes, you may have problems, i say try it and see what is. if you experience weirdness, then upgrading the PSU might be in order...DFI boards are very power hungry............

laterzzz...

I used an 420 watt enermax PSU w/ dual core for a long time (until it died on me from power outages lol). But yeah, your 500 watt seasonic PSU should have no problems w/ dual core.

It's not just the dual core he has to worry about. He's running 7 hdd's as well as a 7950gt.

to a dual-core X2 4200+ (sadly, the highest I can go on the Socket939)....

I'm capable enough to change the ACPI driver to SMP mode, but someone made mention of a power supply not being capable enough or getting along with an X2, so I'd like to understand that better....

I'm having a hard time finding any legitimate basis for the latter part of this specific post: http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread...6081#post616081.

Why wouldn't a 500W PSU (much less a 550W) be enough to drive the above system with only changing to an X2 dual-core CPU? As much as I truly believe that this DFI mobo won't run with anything below a good, solid 500W PSU w/ solid dual-12V rails, this still sounds like a fanboy statement to me....

Can anyone back this statement up, or is it just fluff?

hlygrail, i'll try to answer your questions point by point.

is the X2 4200 the "highest" you can go for budgetary reasons or are you under the assumption that the 4600 or 4800 wouldn't work on that board? because both will if they are available and fit in your budget.

i'm the forum member who recommended that the user in that other thread upgrade his/her power supply. the seasonic 550W unit was not the original power supply being used at the time that thread was active and the user updated their hardware sig. when they installed the new psu.

my power supply recommendations come directly from the recommended power supplies list for DFI boards either here or over at DFI Global Support Forums. i never dish a power supply on those lists nor do i ever recommend a power supply not on those lists (even though I've used a couple that haven't ever made the list without any problems).

am I a fanboy of OCZ Products? absolutely, but I wouldn't recommend an OCZ product that I had first hand knowledge wasn't a good product.

other power supplies I've used without complaint;

OCZ 520W Powerstream

FSP 450W AX450PN

xClio Goodpower 500W

OCZ GameXStream 600W

OCZ GameXStream 700W

however, in each of the above applications I matched the power supply to the hardware and the budget of the particular rig I was building.

a low quality, poor performing, or even great power supply that is under rated for the hardware it is being used with, can and will cause other problems with your system (either immediately or eventually). from mild annoyances such as instability, system crashes, unexplained happenings, data corruption, to more serious issues like destroying other things, like motherboards, video cards, ram etc.

we can't twist anyone's arm to "make" them buy a new power supply. but these forums are littered with these power supply discussions, and plenty of "issue resolved" posts once a recommended psu was installed.

i guess my final advice would be to give your current unit a go if you're so inclined. it will either cut the mustard or it won't.

i haven't confirmed the information in the following link with the official AMD white papers, but here is a summary of the different AMD cores, features and power consumption courtesy of Wiki;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athlon_64

Id normally recommend give it a try w/ current hardware, but with that amount of data it would be terrible to have the PSU go and take all that data with it.