The beginning of the Quadfire era?

Guest r3d c0m3t_merged

Guest r3d c0m3t

I glimpsed in CustomPC that AMD and ATI are getting ready for Crossfire 2.0 and are aiming to get back into the game with such an upscale option. With power requirements the way they are now, you'll probably need a PSU with an extortionate amount of power at it's disposal, this could be an outcry that they're relying on sheer power instead of effort.

What is interesting about this is the fact you'll be able to run four HD 2xxx or maybe even the HD 3xxx simultaneously, but with native Crossfire support for two cards being scarce it seems more like a proverbial "Hey, look what we can do." type of segment.

http://www.custompc.co.uk/news/601161/amd-...-crossfire.html

There's the linky, if anyone is interested.

If there's one thing I've learned over the years with AMD/ATI is that in the planning phase of new technology, they come out with good intentions. But when the new technology is near ready for release, somehow AMD/ATI gets a brain fart and releases the product with subpar performance followed by terrible drivers. I simply don't understand it.:confused:

It's hard for me to say that, especially for the fact that I'm a dedicated AMD/ATI fan. I can only hope AMD/ATI will get it together and gets it right this time. Regardless, I'm still cheering for them!:)

Guest r3d c0m3t
crossfire is a pile of butt already, adding another 2 cards would just make it double butt =/

Despite the fact of me owning a Crossfire rig (and the lack thereof - i.e a proper "Master card") I couldn't have said that better myself. AMD needs a wake-up call, not tomorrow, not two weeks from now, but right now. They only about two fab plants, if I remember correctly. It's no wonder things are so hectic there. I understand the responsibility of having a private establishment and such, but they need to concentrate more on "success" as opposed to "new technologies."

What happened to the good old days when people were assertive and if their first efforts were a failure, they didn't move onto something totally new, they would apply their new efforts to what has failed and devise an entirely new strategy for the "next generation" ideas?

Furthermore, once AMD works out Quad FX it'll be a viable opponent toward Intel's QX-series, as of now Quad FX runs way too hot, it's way too noisy, and it brings back such foolishness akin to the days of Presler, namely the 955 and 965, when power was, or what seemed to be most important, whereas Intel is more focused on die shrinks, increasing cache sizes, increasing bus widths, etc, etc...I just realized that's beside the actual point here, but it relates to the same analogy...AMD is following Intel's strategy from last generation.

I agree with both of you about AMD...they have such great ideas and the only one they have actually pulled off was the AthlonXP and then especially the A64.

Problem is, they forgot Intel IS the 800 pound gorilla, and they HAD to have known that after getting their asses whipped for almost 3 straight years that they would put everything they had behind their R&D team to come up with an Athlon-killer (and they did!).

I love AMD, I always love the little guy...but the little guy is the little guy because the little guys always make way too many mistakes and don't have the depth to sustain a good winning game consistently =(

Well said. You would think with the success of the Athlon XP, the Athlon 64 and with the buyout of ATI, the only way AMD could go is forward. But as we've seen in the last 2 - 3 years, AMD continues to go backwards. I just don't get it.:confused:

Well they bought ATI - a bit of a necesstiy considering the potential of Intels Larabee - but the fall out from that seems to suggest that the managment at AMD isn't what it used to be (or should be).

On the other hand the commitment to monthly driver releases for the graphics products might make Quad Xfire a real possibilty sooner than we'd expect.

On the other hand the commitment to monthly driver releases for the graphics products might make Quad Xfire a real possibilty sooner than we'd expect.

except for more than a year they've been throwing out drivers and not a single one them seems to be even close to a decent driver for Crossfire (single cards though, hell yeah, I love my ATI cards!)

I just dont see the point of Quad Xfire when two card are more then whats needed today. Who really plays doom at 9999x9999 res? Plus I like having a sound card, and tv card in my case also. Give me two gpu CHIPS on one card and only use up one pci slot not two. Dont give me four cards tell me you need 1600watt psu to just run the cards, and want me to bit. I thought nvidia tryed this and it failed. I dont think they ever gave drives to do this tho.

The GX2 was a decent card as far as I remember, once they released a stable driver for it. Or were you talking that thing they made for dell? Yeah ever since the release of the Core2Duo Amd had been like an one legged man in an butt kicking contest.