Sign in to follow this  
mscheaf

Ballistix Tracer ddr 4000 will not oc at 1t

I have tried and tried so many settings to get this ram to run at speeds higher than 500 with 1t but cannot get through memtest. at 2t, i ca run these at around 600 great but 1t just craps all over itself at anything higher than 500. Is this normal for this ram? should i just leave it at 2t and overclck or run it stock (500) at 1t?

Your memory is fine at either 1T or 2T. Remember 1T will look great in benchmarking and doesn't decrease your gaming all that much using 2T. I bet it's the motherboard that you're using not playing nice with the 1T factor.

THIS RAM IS C.R.A.P. Attenton everyone. DO NOT BUY THIS MEMORY!! I swapped out the memory and my system runs great. This stuff is absolute junk. It is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo expensive and i have $30 memory that is better. DO NOT BUY!!!!

i just tried a few different 1 gig sticks. Some patriot, some samsung, some "so generic I don't know what it is". For some reason I can't change timings on the crucial at all without it crashing.

At any point did you just test 1 Crucial stick in the board? (maybe one is limiting you)

Sometimes the memory controller works better with just 1 stick or 2x512MB.

actually i have been doing some reading and the msi neo4 has alot of issues when trying to set timings. I was reccomended a modded bios to try. it is a pretty cool site i found. big overclocking forum like this but they also do modded bios for almost every mb you can think of. So i take back what i said about the ram. BUT. the heat spreaders are still falling off. So i will get the ram running good and hot, quickly remove it from mb, then clamp it with something and home i can make them stick back on. otherwise I will be returning them. For $200 the things shouldn't fall apart. I only ran em at 2.7 V and I have 2 40mm fans blowing across them. No reason for that tape fail

actually i have been doing some reading and the msi neo4 has alot of issues when trying to set timings. I was reccomended a modded bios to try. it is a pretty cool site i found. big overclocking forum like this but they also do modded bios for almost every mb you can think of. So i take back what i said about the ram. BUT. the heat spreaders are still falling off. So i will get the ram running good and hot, quickly remove it from mb, then clamp it with something and home i can make them stick back on. otherwise I will be returning them. For $200 the things shouldn't fall apart. I only ran em at 2.7 V and I have 2 40mm fans blowing across them. No reason for that tape fail

If you keep having problems with the heat shields on the memory just get them swapped out. I have not seen a problem with the heat shields falling off so it just might be the adhesive tape.

well that is funny you say that. i rma'd them. got the replacements today. opened the package and guess what? the heat shields are loose and not touching ANY of the IC's. So now crucial wants me to pay to send them back AGAIN!! So I get to pay shipping on one order THREE times at least. This is ridiculous. I paid almost $300 for some DDR memory a month ago and haven't got to use it. I have a $2500 computer that hasn't been running now for almost a month because of these defective products. I will never EVER buy crucial again. This was my first and LAST purchase from this company. What a joke. I thought this company was supposed to sell quality producs.

that is exactly what it is is the adhesive tape. that doesn't make it any better. the things are still falling off. I bought this stuff on 9-14. I have used it for all of 3 days. This is so freaking ridiculous I can't even describe how po'd i am. d*mmit i knew I should have just bought the redlines. The problem is the little puny clips they put on the heat spreaders only clip the top, so the bottom gets loose and starts to come off. It is tight up top and at the bottom the tape is completely off of the IC's. Whose brilliant idea was it to use those little tiny clips. And I guarantee it was done for aesthetic reasons. F'IN FORM FOLLOWS F'IN FUNCTION!!!! I don't care how pretty it is with the shiny heat spreaders and flashing lights if I can't use it!!

i think some of the 1gb batches are buggy.

I havent seen them come off either, and mine are firmly in-place. they have two silver clips up top dont they?

My 512's are a dream though... except when trying to do 1t. but i am trying to do 1t with 4 :P

offtopic: Hey cruciallabs guy, could you pm me the recommended timings for ddr500?