My Short Vista Story

Guest Headwound_merged

Guest Headwound

A couple weeks back, at the start of the semester, we were informed that we could purchase Windows Vista Business for the low price of 17 dollars. I hadn't tried it since RC1 and I wanted to get an unbiased look at what all the fuss was about, and maybe try out DirectX10. All I can say is that I'm not touching that install disk till at least January, at the very, very earliest

Step 1: Installation

A pretty easy installation process, much less painful that it was made out to be, took about an hour to complete. Much to my surprise, all of my current documents, files, music and programs were found by Microsoft and integrated pretty seamlessly into Vista.

Step 2: Drivers and Updates

Ah, here is where the trouble started. First up, windows update couldn't find the proper nforce drivers for my MoBo, nor could it find proper drivers for my Video Card, not a big hitch up but annoying none the less. After that was done, I manged to get my resolution back up to 1400x900 and turned on Aero. Once again, I was pleasantly surprised, the GUI is both Aethestically pleasing and fairly functional.

Step 3: Activation (or, it's all down hill from here)

Oh yes, here's when things went from Cautious Optimism to "Oh god, why did I do this!?" When I first activated Vista, everything seemed fine, flip to earlier today and a couple problems have came up. My sound driver is messing up badly, anytime a 3D application is involved with sound, cue the sounds of ear raping static and horrible "Jimi Hendrix" Style Distortion (which would be fine if it wasn't 50 Decibels too loud and lacking a well played guitar). So like any logical person, I uninstalled my current driver and reinstalled a different one. I go ahead and restart my computer, and to my surprise and disgust, windows has been Deactivated. "No problem!" I think, "Microsoft will just Re-Validate my copy of Vista and I'll be on my way!" No Dice. Instead, it tells me that my current key is under use. As it should be, by myself. So I use their Phone Support... 3 attempts and everysingle one ends in the computer lady's inability to validate my install ID. So I transfer over to an outsourced help center. No hold time or anything. They tell me to call back in 2 hours... What?

After thinking about it, I came to this conclusion.

"I should of stayed with XP"

"Though Vista's GUI is fairly nice"

"But WGA, Activation, and MS Tech Support can stick their faces chin-deep in a cow's nether-regions"

For now, I'm just about to reformat my C drive and go through the arduous process of reinstalling all my games, and vital programs.

Take this story as a word of further warning, avoid Vista like the plague for now. I see some potential in this OS, but it's clouded over by layers and layers of smeared . that MS passes off as Copy Protection and User Friendlyness

Guest Headwound

Heh, I'm just worried I'm not going to be able to activate it, because my key's already in use... by myself. Grrrr.

I am running Vista ultimate 64 bit. It is taking a little while to get used to it, i happen to love the GUI and i havent had any problems with any of the drivers or programs that i used with XP. 1 thing i do hate is the poor gaming performance, FEAR doesnt run in 5.1 like it should but i dont play games anymore so it isnt that big of a deal for me. Other then that i like it alot but i miss xp and might install it on another hard drive so when i want to game i will boot off of that drive.

Guest phoenixdancer

im useing vista 64bit ultimate.

i installed it and it was the italian version "DOH" so i spent ages with a translater geting the english language pack for the GUI.

Its all in english now and all my drivers are installed.

errm i have had no problems apart from my gfx drivers fked up but a uninstall of the drivers and then updateing them fixed that.

Errm over all im pleased with Vista Ultimate. dont like the fact it uses 1.5Gb of my 4GB idleing, but its useing that to super fletch and cashe so im ok.

errnm its great

Your story sounds better than mine. I got the academic upgrade to Vista Home Premium for my daughter (was on XP Home). Started the process from within Windows, it rebooted after a few minutes, and this is as far as we ever got:

262.jpeg

Tried a few more times changing all kinds of hardware, etc, checking for issues, and nothing would let us get past that screen. Even trying a clean install.

The disks have been sitting on the shelf since then (about 4 months). Weeee....

^^^^^bad luck bud. Yeah i have been hearing about these nightmare stories for a while now. I guess i am lucky it just went smoothly except trying to find the right silicon raid drivers that would let windows see the array grrrrr.