Sign in to follow this  
mscheaf

[Resolved] Weird temp issue

I have talked with quite a few other people who have had this issue and we decided it is a problem with windows 2000, X2, and certain nforce boards not getting along. in every case the ppl i have talked to remedied the situation by installing xp. i guess that will be my next step. time to start a massive back up.....

Did you check load temps with CoreTemp? I'll just wait to see what others tell you about CoreTemp, rather than get into an argument about it's integrity.

Does seem like a rather odd issue and I do hope you get it figured out.

Core temp is what I use pretty much exclusively now. IMO it gives a more accurate and realistic reading than all the rest.

i am sure core temp is great, but i am also sure there are cetain set ups it may be wrong for. no software is 100% compatible with every single hw/os/sw combination. I just really don't think i am running as hot as core temp says. I would physically burn my hand touching the heat sink base at full load. the hs is barely warm. i'm not trying to argue. just saying what seems to work for me and other ppl who had this issue. and regardless, the windows 2000 idle temp is to high in the other apps. so it is too high period. My issue is not temp software it is windows 2000 making my dual core run hot. this is the same system that was running 15 degrees cooler with a single core that had the bejesus oc'ed out of it. so whatever temp program is right, it needs to be lower.

after some fooling around, core temp reads only about 4 degrees hotter than everest, mbm, etc. but still it is to hot and load is only 3-4 degress hotter than idle. now here is the strange part. when using orthos and both cpu's at 100% and watching core temp, cpu0 jumps up to 60 and cpu1 stays around 51-52 even though they are both under load. This is getting really weird now. And even when it is under load, i can touch the side of the cpu heat spreader under the hs and it is not the slightest bit hot. not even really warm. just room temp. i guess win2k is just being retarded

Sounds like your heat sink needs to be lapped, or isn't sitting level. I can actually tweak my tuniq tower by adjusting the screws while watching the temp in CoreTemp, until both cores display almost identical temps. Of course you run a risk of messing things up fiddling around like that while the PC is running, but it works for me.

yeah i tried a few things. i pushed the sink down hard while it was running, putting pressure ob different sides to see if the temps changed while doing it. they didn't. also it the heatsink wasn't on, wouldn't the side of the cpu heatspreder be really hot or at least warm. i can touch 2 sides of it and it isn't the slightest bit hot. i also used this same cooler on my 3700 and it kept it at 40 under load and idle around 31. the bottom of it is real flat. i checked it out trying to wobble a razor blade and some other flat objects on it. and seeing if i can see light, etc and it seems really flat. i don't feel comfortable lapping the thing anyway. this weekend i will try some different coolers on there and see what the results are like. i got a zalman 7500 and a stock cooler. at least that way i can positively eleminate the hs as the culprit.

still, why would one core be 10 degress hotter

I've seen more than 10C difference before finalizing my tweaking on my tuniq. Check out the other heat sinks and see what happens. Could also be that the IHS is the culprit; maybe the thermal compound beneath the IHS is uneven, or the IHS itself is not flat.

I read the sticky on core temp and found this toward the end

"But the program may not be 100% accurate with 939 and earlier CPUs"

I guess I may be falling in that catagory. There is no way my cpu is running as hot as it says, otherwise i would be able to feel it when i touch the side of the heat spreader. but anyway I will be putting xp on here as soon as my rma'd ram gets back to me and hopefully that solves this nonsense.

lol:tooth:

did bios say it was high or did it say 34.

core temp is dead on on my xp system. it shows the core temperatures, the others just show an external gauge or so.

Everything is fine. Core temp, everest, bios, nTune. They are all within a few degrees of each other. And load is higher than idle like it should be (around 49-51). So I am so happy now. If I could just get thess damn 1gb pc4000 tracers to tighten up I would be happy. Got the 4200 runnin smoothly at a 2805. Makes a very noticible difference than stock. My stupid mb just doesn't seem to like 1gb mem sticks