[Resolved] Weird temp issue

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah i did all that. thanks though. i am waiting to see what amd says. Then I guess i will just reinstall. And if I am going to reinstall I might as well go XP. All my other computers have been switched to XP now anyway. I have just been dreading doing it to this one, since it is my main system and I have finally got it just like i want it after a year.

the only thing i can figure is my bios is being stupid and reporting the wrong idle temp. It idles at 39 in bios and 50 in windows. I just hope my load temp is fine. Is there a stress program i can run outside of windows (like memtest) that i can check my load temps outside of windows????

Sounds alot like a heatsink problem to me. I'm thinking one of two things:

1) The zalman is not making proper contact with the IHS of your processor. Make sure that both are flat and smooth, lap them if necessary to get a good, smooth surface. Re-seat it and see if the temps have improved. If it isn't making good contact, think about getting one that will fit correctly...

2) The IHS isn't making contact with the CPU itself. This one is harder to fix - and can really only be done by an RMA or popping off the lid of your CPU (THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY!!) You can then run it naked, or attempt to reapply the gunk and put the IHS back on.

that really doesn't make sense to me as my load temps are fine and my bios idle temps are fine. I can touch the base of the zalman and feel it is good and hot under load which means it is working. if the zalman wasn't hot i would be worried about that. i actually found a later bios and i found a modded bios too. i will try those and see if that works.

I just still don't get what is going on here. I set everything back to default in bios. Here are my temps:

Windows load: 46

Windows idle: 44

Bios idle: 36

What is going on with this?? Why is windows idle so much higher than bios idle?? Why is windows load only 2 degrees higher than windows idle??? Can i assume that the windows idle is incorrect??

I use core center, ntune, everest, mbm5. they all say the same thing. core temp is telling me it is like 60 degrees idle at stock voltage so i really think core temp is kind of wrong. from my understanding all temp programs get their temps from the same place anyway, so i will believe the 4 that say the same thing as opposed to the one that says something ridiculous. if my computer WAS running at 60 it would give me an alarm

i have reset the heat sink quite a few times. you are missing the real issue here. the load temp is only a few degrees higher than the idle temp. that tells me that somewhere the programs are reading idle temp wrong. and if the bios reads the diode like the other apps do, why would the bios and the other apps have 10 degree difference. And if core center is right and my cpu is idleing along at 60 at stock the following would have happened:

When i had it oc'd to 2.7 and ran orthos for 13 hours i bet it would have died. It didn't

When I run both cores at 100% load and feel the base of the heatsink, socket etc with my hands it would be more than just slightly warm.

There is no way my cpu is idleing at 60 at stock speed. i don't think core center works correctly on my system.