[Resolved] Weird temp issue

My CPU under load is around 54 C. Not to bad, but why would it idle at 49? Doesn't make sense to me. Usually if you idle that high, then your load will be real high, but my load is about where i want it to be. But the idle seems ridonculous. Stock settings make the cpu idle at around 36, but i have the voltage now at 1.45 (up from 1.3 stock) and speed at 2.7ghz (from 2.2 stock). Would that really make my idle that much higher

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest drteming

What's your CPU cooling setup? With good air cooled heatsinks, going to 1.45 v only raises my dual core opterons idle temps 2-3 C.

sorry, i thought that was in my sig. I have one of those zalman 9500's. I have 2 80mm intake fans on the bottom front of the case. A 120mm intake on the side. 2 80mm exhausts on back-top. 1 80mm exhaust on top. I have a 40mm fan blowing over my ram and 2 40mm fans and a heatsink on my main hdd. large case with good airflow. mb runs about 30 C. I am not sure the fan would be the problem, since like i said load temps are fine, just wierd that idle is only a few degrees less than load. Never seen anything like it.

edit:

I just finsihed running ortho for 8 hours, where my temp stayed at 54 the whole time. After shutting it off, my cpu only cooled down to 51 after 5 minutes. And I have the ac on in the house. It is about 73 F in the room.

Guest drteming

That 9500 is a pretty good heatsink. Have you tried to remount the heatsink? Did you use too much/too little thermal paste? Also, what program (or hardware) are you using to monitor your temperatures?

i think i followed the instructions pretty good. i used the arctic silver. i put about a bb size drop in the center of the cpu. i pressed the hs on the cpu, clamped it down and twisted it back and forth a few times. i got the same temps useing a variety of programs, so i am confident in them. I used ntune, everest, mbm5 and msi core center. also the temps in the bios confirm the idle temp. 2 points worth considering:

I just put this system together and the arctic silver is not "broke in" yet.

I read the 9500 sits kind of loose and you need to bend the bracket a little to make it sit tighter

But i guess I am really wondering, does it matter? My load temps are ok, so is it really that bad if my idle temp is high? I am not so much worried, just confused. I have never seen an idle temp this high that didn't have a load temp of like 70. Very strange

Guest drteming

Had kind of the same problem with my Tuniq tower being too loose at first. After tightening it down, my temp dropped 4 C, though it was both idle and load. Breaking in Arctic Silver 5 should only drop your temp by 1-2 C.

One last thing...did you just install the dual core chip? About 2 weeks ago, I was playing around with my Opteron 144 and had removed the AMD CPU driver and dual core optimizer from my Expert rig. After putting back the 165, I forgot to reinstall the CPU driver and dual core optimizer. I noted that for some reason or another, my idle temp was very close to my load temp. After reinstalling the CPU driver and the dual core optimizer, the idle temp returned back to normal.

yes i just upgraded from a 3700+. But, i am using windows 2000, so there is no driver and the dual core optimizer only works in xp or above. AMD told me I don't need a driver for win2k, just to install the windows driver for multiprocessor support in the device manager (which of course i did). This is very odd. And keep i mind it was idleing about 39 before i started scewin with the voltage and "fsb". Oh, by the way, thanks for the help. I feel rude for not saying so earlier

Guest drteming

That was the exact same glitch I had. Idle temp was ok in BIOS. Somehow, windows was doing something that was increasing the temperature, although task manager did not show anything. Maybe it was reading the temperature wrong, though in that case, you would expect the load temp to be higher also. But like I said, reinstalling the driver and the optimizer solved the issue.

I guess one last thing is to reinstall the OS so that it sees a dual core chip from the get go.

it doesn't even matter now. Now when I increase the fsb past 200 the system hangs after post with a message that says

NVIDIA RAID IDE ROM BIOS 4.84

Detecting Array.....

I guess I will give up on overclocking this system. After 2 weeks and absolutely zero progess (in fact backward progress) it is time to give up. Will never buy an MSI board again