Internet Stops Working.

deeselcyde

I just moved into an apartment with 2 guys and one of them set up a wireless network. The network is very very secure and we have a high gain antenna hooked up to it. I'm about 10-15 feet away from the antenna so I have a very good signal. We subscribed the their 8 MB/s speed so it is very fast. When internet is going I have no complaints, except when roommate is downloading:sad:

The problem is....when I leave my computer on all night, I wake up the next morning, I have no internet activity. It says that I am connected to the network, but, Firefox wont work and aim wont work. But today I started up Steam and Steam downloaded an update. I even disconnect and reconnect to the network and Firefox and aim still don't work. I eventually have to restart my computer for everything to run dandy.

I know it isn't THAT big of a deal but it is annoying, and I know I should be turning my computer off at night.

I just bought a new wireless card, a Buffalo from Bestbuy, I don't know if that helps.

I sorta have hte same problem with a Netgear WGR614v6 wireless that I just simply unplug for 30 seconds each day when i wake up and then plug back in.

It's a crappy solution but it is the only thing that solves the exact same issue you are having (until I can afford a better/newer wireless lol)

I would say more about your router than pci card, but here's a couple of things to consider (and remember I'm not nearly as expert with wireless as I am with wired)

1. pci cards tend to be bad because the antenna is in the back, and gets shielded from open signal by the wall, the sides of the desk, etc. If you have one with an antenna that can be attached to a cable and moved, I suggest moving it up the wall, especially in a corner as signals bounce off the walls into the corner very well.

2. routers have the same problem with signals sometimes. Some are bad at getting through walls, even thin ones. My Netgear gives me a strong signal all the way out across the street, but it's problem is as described earlier, it tends to stop transmitting at some point for some reason and has to be reset.

Make sure with routers you put them up high, and try to make sure nothing is blocking at least 3 sides (mine sits up 7' on a shelf with the antenna pointed straight out and nothing on 3 sides, and i get killer signals, much better than before when I had it blocked on two sides)

My signal strength isn't the problem. I get at least 4 bars of strength because I am so close(room right about router). It just seems like when I leave the computer idle for about 6 hours it loses the signal and has to be restarted for the internet to start working. I don't know if it is the driver or what..? I heard a way to fix my problem is to go to your "View Wireless Networks" and "Repair" it. I heard that works but I will try it and let you all know when I experience that problem again.

ya try it out and see if it helps. I'm about at the point where I'm gonna smash my router to pieces with a hammer though (all my rigs are wired into it, the 360 and the laptop and the Wii are the only wireless devices accessing it, and i have those all set to MAC filtering on top of my 64-bit WEP key)

I have a D-Link Di-624 Firmware Version 2.53

Note: My roommate has a 2 year old Compaq notebook and he leaves his computer on overnight and he has had zero problems.

I got the PCI adapter from Best Buy about 5 days ago and I have 30 days left to return it.