Sign in to follow this  
chris.y2k.r1

Asus M2N32 SLI Wireless and Opteron 1212

I cannot get solid information on this. Will the Asus M2N32 work with an Opteron 1212 processor? I can't see why it wouldn't but I am getting conflicting info. Does anyone current run this or a similar cobination on a Asus AM2 board?

Thanks!

I replaced my DFI Lan Party NF590 with this Asus M2N32 after it fried. I have an Opteron 1212 waiting for it's new home - Just hoping it will work. Do I need to update the BIOS.... I also read only certain BIOS rev's will work... But all this info is not clear. If you run this combo or similar.. PLEASE take the time to let me know. Thanks again! Salute...

hey. Opteron doesnt work with that board. I tired it already with 1210. But the Asus Crosshair works. I hope this helps.

Actually it does work and even recognizes the correct CPU - I am typing on an M2N32 now with an Opteron 1212 running @ 10x290. I'm guessing you just need the latest BIOS which is 12xx.

Thats really weird! well too late. i sold the board and got a DFI M2r/g.

did the opteron 1212 have any problems running on your DFI m2r/g board before it burnt out? thats the board im getting with my new opteron 1212. Do you have any pointers for that bios setup to get the max overclocking? I have 2x1gb Patriot 5-5-5-14.

Well at first I had a Lan Party NF590 which ran fine but it does have BIOS issues and there are problems with the mem dividers at certain FSB frequencies. For example @ 290FSB I could not run DDR533 or DDR667 but I could run DDR400 & DDR800 (800 was too not stable at those overclocked speeds). It's definitely a BIOS problem and DFI knows about it but decided not to address it. So when the board eventually self terminated I got an Asus N2M32 SLI Deluxe Wifi as a replacement. In between I tried the Infinity board but did not like it at all. My personal opinion after owning all 3 is that the Asus is much more stable and easier to deal with but the Lan Party and the N2M32 will get about the same from a processor and memory combination you just have to work harder with the DFI to get it.

The main thing I don't like about the DFI units are the wimpy, easily stifled and curropted BIOS'. I can't tell you how many times I had to hot flash a BIOS chip with the DFI units becuase they are totally unstable. That's why DFI guys all own BIOS saviours. I've never had such problems with Asus boards.

My advice is, if you can't get the memory speeds you want, run the memory at a slower speed and tighten up the latencies as best you can. You wind up with the same thing.

thanks for the info.

btw how did you load the bios before booting your asus up? I remember when i put in the opteron, it just had a black screen. But when I put in a x2 3600+ it worked fine.

thanks for the info.

btw how did you load the bios before booting your asus up? I remember when i put in the opteron, it just had a black screen. But when I put in a x2 3600+ it worked fine.

It came w/ 1201 installed.

I just bought an Asus M2N32-sli deluxe wireless mobo. Chris, is that a typo when you say you got a N2M32? Mine is socket am2 for my amd 6400. What socket is yours? Mine is 940 pins. I have been studying asus sucky website and very confused people are learning how to NOT do things, judging by the posts there in the support forums.

What i was going to say is i see a lot of people are saying to use a floppy in dos to reboot the new bios in. They strongly urge not to use the windows flash option. I used to use the win version on my 1st asus , but I guess I will play it by ear. I forgot which bios supports my cpu, but i definatly won't be using their beta's. I never use beta anything. I'll make sure i got my bases covered and notes taken before i fire her up.

Glad you got your issue resolved. Travis highly recommended this board to me as i had 3 950 chipset boards picked out to choose among from. I'm glad i got the asus. I heard people are having quite a few of problems with dfi's (and a couple other brands) 950 chipset boards.

These new tek boards are bound to have some quirks here and there, i guess. Jeez, ther's so many features in them. Is there such a thing as a "problem free" board? I know i make most of my own problems. You re-assure me about my decision. :)

Yes yes, typo - my bad. I hear people talking about using DOS to flash BIOS for all kinds of reasons over windows... It really doesn't make much sense and here's why:

Windows is only unstable if you are flashing your BIOS while overclocked. That's just dumb. First of all, hard drives are much, much more reliable than foppys. You have a way better chance of a DOS flash with a floppy failing than a Windows flash from a hard drive as long as the system is stable. Floppys are the shittiest forms of media ever and to trust your whole system to one is insane. There's nothing wrong w/ Windows flashing. I've lost systems to crappy floppys and weak drives. Many systems don't even support floppys anyone.

Windows is fine. People like to hear themselves talk. As a matter of fact, If you are running a stock, stable system, Windows is a much more reliable means of flashing.

I did do all my bios flashing using the windows easy flash thingy on my 1st asus board, always worked w/o any problems, and i was oc'd right to the edge of being unstable. And it still worked. huh.

Hey chris, can i just plug my sata1 36gb raptor into one of the six sata connectors on the board with no floppy @ the f6 prompt thing? It says it's backward compatible with sata1, i want to just plug it into the sata1 connector and off we go. It's the only hard drive i will be using.

No reason that won't work at all. You shouldn't need to install the drivers unless you are trying to install the OS onto a RAID array.

As far as flashing in Windows when you are overclocked, that's fine - I should have been more specific. As long as the system is Prime stable. If you don't know if it's stable or not and you are flashing while OC'd then that's dumb. Flashing on a stable OC'd system is no different than stock. I would flash this with my current settings. It's Orthos 8 hours stable.