NIC & modem/router compatability

F@TMAN

I'm having issues with a new OEM PC and connecting its onboard NIC to my ADSL2+ modem/router (Dynalink RTA1025W). Specifically, the NIC on the PC appears to not be able to hold connection (its "connected" LED does not stay solid), and exhibits activity such as "general failure" and/or "request timed out" during ping tests. I've tried solutions surrounding the modem/router (most up-to-date firmware, settings, a different cable and physical port) with no solution, but can confirm that the same setup works with my other PC's. On the PC end, we've tried different drivers, BIOS, settings, and even tried replacing the m/b...2 new m/b later and still exhibiting the same symptoms! Keep in mind, the PC exhibits these symptoms even while in BIOS, so we should be able to rule software out of the equation...

OEM techs now suggest it's a compatability issue between my modem/router and the OEM PC. I wasn't aware that incompatabilities can occur between ethernet devices (since there aren't any drivers), so I was wondering if anyone here can shed some light. I'm planning on stripping the PC apart and booting w/ one extra component at a time to determine conflicts or other faulty components. Any suggestions appreciated, thanks in advance.

go to newegg (or the equivalent in Australia) and find a cheapo ($10US or less) NIC PCI card that has a realtek chip on it (or find a used 3com/intel/etc on a forum).

I've moved away from onboard NIC in all my rigs. All of them have an Intel Pro 10/100 or 3Com 10/100 except one, which has a Realtek 8139 10/100.

I grew tired of onboard NIC about the same time I grew tired of onboard sound and video heh.

Maybe not a solution, but when it comes to onboard stuff, there's very rarely a fix that will actually fix it =/

thnx for your reply, Angry Games. Funnily enough, that was the solution I found worked best for when my onboard NIC died on my current rig (DFI nf4 SLi-D)! I was hoping the OEM would do their best under the circumstances, considering the main reason I purchased this system was for its warranty. Cheers

*BUMP* it's worth mentioning that what I didn't try (and what OEM techs are asking me to try now) is a cross-over cable with another system to rule out (or, in their view, highlight) my router. I'm very curious to see what the outcome is. Cheers