Sign in to follow this  
Fogel

Lasik

So one thing I have heard from a few people is that the only thing consistent about me is my inconsistency. Which I always found odd since I love consistency ...I guess I just fail at it. One example might be I prefer being at home but I am actually most comfortable listening to my music staring up at a strange ceiling.

A better example might be a recent weekend where my friend woke me up to tell me there was a couple of hours left to get a kick butt deal on a flight to Las Vegas. He'd put it on his card and I could take my time paying him back. Hey, where do I sign up? So now I find myself in Vegas and I actually wanted to go to Mt. Charleston (hey I been to Vegas many times before) and that was the plan before the trip. Now my german sheppard bit my glasses when they were on the tv stand thinking it was snack time. So I needed a new pair as well as some new contacts, just been tight on money, so headed up to a eye doctor to get that squared away no problem. To cut an already long story short, I ended up letting the doc blast my eyes with some industrial sized laser pen.

Cool thing about it was, they put you in the druggie room (my name for it - barely lit, soft music in background, zanax and valium) and then they prep your eyes. Then things get really blurry. They lead you by the shoulders to the next room and tell you to look at the red dot, below the red dot, ABOVE THE RED DOT! FOOK! Pick a direction and I'll look there! After playing visual tag with a blurry red dot, they flip up your cornea and the laser goes from a blurry red dot to a sharp crisp red filament. Something happens, then some yellow thing comes down on your eye, and then some blurry thing follows the yellow thing (eye drops maybe - /praying). Pow, next eye. Simple but I won't lie, I was squeezing the hell out of the stuffed animal they put on you. So there u go, the gory details people don't tell you. >.:) I would put this above an optional principal payment on a house. Seriously, I would rank it that high. You can lose/sell the house, but all things being equal and no injuries/castrophy strikes you'll have your eyes with you no matter where you are. Now despite being in a financial crunch I did spring for the custom surgery that corrects for the higher apparitions in the eye because the way I figure it... it's not like i'm shopping for mattresses. These are my eyes, I rely on them.

If you have been waiting for the technology to improve, it has. They used to only be able to correct for the lower apparitions (no clue how to spell that) in the eye. This makes up about 85% of your vision and this is what glasses correct for. They always knew about the higher apparitions but it wasn't until just recently that they have been able to correct for them. This makes up the remaining 15% and it has to deal with the clarity. The easiest way the doc could dumb it down for me was its like the clarity you get from HDTV - so that wasn't my metaphor. :)

I'm sorry for writing such a long 'ol post no one is probably going to read or think I'm just trying to gloat or something. I just can't imagine spending my money on anything better and thought there might be others on the fence with the idea. I'd pay the xtra bones for a good doctor for the same reason I'm recommending this - it is your eyes. Treat them well. Now I'm in debt to my friend, but I pay that price gladly.

ok so...how much?

because I WANT VERY BADLY to be rid of these glasses, and I know momma would love to be rid of her glasses/contacts (I can't even wear contacts anymore)

You know, usually when somebody writes a huge butt rant on the Street I tend to skim rather than read every word, but you're a pretty good writer.

Yeah so how much?

It's too late for my left eye, that's pretty much [email protected]#$%ed. I am legally blind in it and my brain actually decided to just kind of 'turn it off'. I am hoping that it might help with my right eye though, which has been progressively getting worse over the last few years now.

My wife also wears glasses, but I prefer her wearing them. I like the Bookworm Bit... errr I mean studious look, to me that's sexxxy as hell :D

I have to say though, I enjoy taking my glasses off and walking around campus with sunglasses. Nobody can see me, I can't see them. It works out. But being able to see clearly is definitely worth it. I can barely see with my glasses at times.

It's too late for my left eye, that's pretty much [email protected]#$%ed. I am legally blind in it and my brain actually decided to just kind of 'turn it off'. I am hoping that it might help with my right eye though, which has been progressively getting worse over the last few years now.

My wife also wears glasses, but I prefer her wearing them. I like the Bookworm Bit... errr I mean studious look, to me that's sexxxy as hell :D

Oh damn, that sucks bro. You know you could always just pop out the lenses on her glasses IF she does it get it done. :P When I was up in DC there was this stripper that wore her hair up and wore glasses. Friend up there and I called her the "school girl" - by far the sexiest one there. :) Grrreat now I'm gonna blame this on you - it's too early for these images when I'm stuck at work and can't do anything about it. :mad:

Yeah so how much?
ok so...how much?

because I WANT VERY BADLY to be rid of these glasses, and I know momma would love to be rid of her glasses/contacts (I can't even wear contacts anymore)

Yeah, this is the painful part. Think $5k to $6k - no point dragging it out. That would be for both eyes, interlace (they cut the cornea with a laser instead of a razor blade), custom (correcting for the higher apparitions - the HDTV eyes) surgery at a top of the line doctor (#1 or 2 in your state) with a good history of patients and good equipment. That's the going for broke cost.

Now you could reduce the cost by finding a cheaper doctor - more expensive doesn't always equal best results. Granted I did this on a whim and didn't study up on it before I did it, but I'd find a doctor who has done it a lot. If possible find someone you know who had lasik done and see who they went to. Now there are chop shops where docs do a crap load of people for REALLY cheap (like $500 an eye), but everyone I know who had it done paid the xtra price for a highly rated doctor so I can't speak to how good/bad they are. Research - I can't imagine even I'm crazy enough to do it on a whim at a place like that without doing some research first. The fact the doctor I went to is rated as one of the top two doctors in the state along with the price break (ok, mostly this) is what sealed the deal. I figured I would have to spend about 500 bucks for both glasses and contacts with a maintenance cost each month for the contacts.

If you don't have the cash/credit, I'd wait and save. To find out if you're candidate should be free, but I'd call and confirm in advance and double check at time of appointment. If you do get it done, I would get the interlace - more can go wrong with a razor blade. Interlace is more expensive but again... these are our eyes we are talking about. Get it done right. Razor blade just isn't as clean of a cut as laser is. There IS a laundry list of . that CAN go wrong that they make you aware of and have to sign off knowing you know them. That is why I say Interlace is the way to go. Finding a good doctor is the 2nd piece of the equation.

It's expensive, but if you can save up it is totally worth the wait. Did a quick search while typing this, especially since I got distracted at least 10 times by co-workers but this website recommends against the really cheap places.

i been wanting laser/lasik for about 10 years ever since I first heard about it, but I been waiting all this time #1 for the money but more importantly #2 the technology to advance and people to become skilled enough that I won't end up blind (though that's always a possibility).

Well thanks for the info, I'll have to look into that, sorry for the visual :P

No prob, it's still a great visual. :drool: WOO, good thing it is quittin' time! Have a great weekend!

i been wanting laser/lasik for about 10 years ever since I first heard about it, but I been waiting all this time #1 for the money but more importantly #2 the technology to advance and people to become skilled enough that I won't end up blind (though that's always a possibility).

Same here. When I first heard of it my friend had it done and he got "annoying" side effects. So I was scared and I think my statement at the time (1999 maybe) was... "I'll get it done way in the future like 2007 or something." Which means if I am remembering correctly I predicted pretty well. :)

The key things seem to be:

1 - Your Eyes - sadly we have no control over this

2 - Doctor - I hear blindness can only occur if the doctor REALLY sucks. Those machines do most of the callibrating for them so it is pretty accurate

3 - Razor Blade vs Interlace - or Sometimes Clean vs Always Clean Cut

I would always prefer lasers honestly as they are more precise

is that what interlace is?

lasik at first scared me the most because it actually uses thin blades or such to cut, but over the years I've been hearing how it is better and better than original laser surgery (not to mention lasers I think can only correct nearsightedness or whatever condition where your eyes are too round (lasers can't cure too flat)).

Traditional Lasik is where they cut the cornea of your eye with a razor blade, flip it up and then use the laser to correct your vision. That image still creeps me out.

Interlace is where they cut the cornea with a laser, flip it up and then correct your vision with the laser. No blade.

Lasik can correct nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism. Not sure what degree of astigmatism it cannot correct for. Astigmatism is where your cornea (lens) is shaped funny. If your eyeball is more flat, then ya I don't lasik can do crap about that. If your cornea is too thin than Lasik may not be an option but PRK could be.