World In Conflict: multiplayer tester/reviewer(s) needed

Angry_Games

ive played the demo, and though it looks great, i just cant work with the controls. it kept me frustrating the entire game. guess i wont be playing it

if you aren't used to RTS controls, it can be overwhelming. The great thing about this game, as well as Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War is that you can play on Easy to get a good feel of how to do everything without getting your butt handed to you.

I used to be a master at Age of Empires deathmatch, and i knew all the hotkeys by heart (and by mechanical repetition!), but I've forgotten all that. I like games like this that focus more on the story + action than remembering that alt+ctrl+z = build some specialized unit hehe

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, how the hell do you control all those tanks and infantries. Sheesh guys, I really really need to get used to the controls of this game. It is fast paced and I love it, now if only I can get used to controlling and placing them troops.........

easiest = hold left mouse button down and drag a 'box' around the units you want to control. Hit ctrl+1

now all the units you surrounded with your box can be called on at the same time simply by hitting the 1 on your keyboard

I do this with say 2 different squad types. One might be heavy tanks (ctrl+1), the other Bradleys + hummer + foot infantry (ctrl+2). Then I can hit 1 and send in my tanks, then hit 2 and flank with my Bradley/infantry (while calling in artillery, airstrikes, laser guided bombs, etc).

This is how you do it in every single RTS game I've ever played, so remember it.

Once you've selected units, right-click on the screen where you want them to go, or right-click on enemies to attack them (and some of your units have special attacks like HEAT tank rounds, phosphorus artillery, etc that can be used manually while your units are auto-attacking)

Much mahalo's bruddah, you know I love this game right? And it is my first time playing this sort of game, I mean man, I just love it when things go BOOOOM. My wife is already hating me because of this game, he he he lol. What I have also noticed is that I get overwhelmed with all the things that goes on in the game, I loose myself in it and my bearings. OOOOOH, AAAAAAAH, WOW, then I am losing units one after the other. Thanks for the tips dude.:nod: Oh, and ah... I still tell my wife to blame you guys for turning me on to PC gaming.:O

I got this game. Controls are pretty simple and well laid out in comparision to C&C.

The story is quaint?!? (alec baldwin adds depth)

Explosions ie airstrikes mortars and missiles are beautiful

my new game!

well kind of as i got DiRT at the same time

and the single player section comes with custom missions

I think you should do a review for us Voltes. It would be nice to get the opinion of a new enthusiastic game player. A pretty unbiased view of a game without the baggage of the many past games us more cynical types might have. Remind us of those earlier wow moments.

I could probably help out A_G. I was in both closed and open Beta's and have been playing the game nonstop since its release.

However I just started up school and am starting a new job next week, so time is precious.

But I will say. To the skeptics that are on the fence. If you even remotely enjoy RTS games or find them intriguing, BUY THIS GAME!! If you have a system that can run it all out, WiC has by far the best graphics I have ever seen for this genre. Also this is a great lanparty game, I played with 10 people with the demo before the game was released and we had a blast. None of the guys that came over had ever played before and they picked it right up, no problem. Granted we had to play off an online server because they had not yet release a DS client for LAN games.

I am in the 101st clan and am online all the time.

@ Sailindawg, yes it has full single player skirmish mode.

I think you should do a review for us Voltes. It would be nice to get the opinion of a new enthusiastic game player. A pretty unbiased view of a game without the baggage of the many past games us more cynical types might have. Remind us of those earlier wow moments.

Yeah, OK, but I would not know how to go about writing a review article though. All I can is that I will just let you guys know how I feel about the game and its controls and fun factor, not to mention the graphics side which is awesome. Because I am so new to this game, I'm stuck at the supermarket because my brain and hands and fingers get confused on who or what or where to attack or whether I should repair or call out artillery, not mention the Colonel shouti at me, jeez. And to top it all off, I'm still going OOOOH, AAAAAAH, WOOOOOOW KAAAABOOOOOOOOM, then my units are all dead and i did not even think about getting reinforcements.

A_G, I used your advice and it works, but I still have to learn to use the map on the left side of the screen.

This is more complicated than my Transit/Level class with Trigonometry formulas, he he he LOL.

You should have seen me first time I played an FPS - didn't realise you could use the mouse to look around and stuff. I think it was Hexen or Heretic but initally I thought the game/genre had no chance - then I knocked the mouse with my elbow. I was still cr*p at the game but things started to make sense and now the divorce meter is always running a little warm.

controls are the lifeblood of any game. I remember first time I was playing Quake with a Microsoft Sidewinder game pad (not no damn USB either!) and getting slaughtered and having a real difficult time. One guy who was the best damn player on the server helped me learn the love and joy of mouse/kb on an FPS.

Learning to play hockey on the console controllers was a pain at first as well. This button for pass, this for shoot, this for poke-check, this for check, this to modify the four buttons, this to speed burst, this stick for moving, this stick for defense/stick handling, this button to drop down to your knees to block a shot...sheesh. Now I'm a hockey addict lol.

Same with Age of Empires, the first modern game I ever played on a modern pc (Compaq Presario AMD K6-2 400Mhz w/128MB RAM and onboard 8MB ATI video lol). Learning all the ways to control with a mouse (and you couldn't rotate camera back then either, it was fixed 3/4 view! but you could zoom-in with the mouse or if you had one of them new ones with a wheel that was even better!) THEN having to learn all the damn hotkeys (for deathmatch, I rarely learn too many hotkeys anymore in today's RTS because I don't play multiplayer so I never have to be ultra-deft with my hotkey strokes) after. Knowing which skill trees to go down to maximize my style of game (diplomacy? don't need war-making skills then except for enough defense to keep them damn Hittites out of my cities!).

I always play first on easy these days, just so I can only lose if I'm a total loser, and once you learn one RTS control scheme, you pretty much know every RTS control scheme (just like FPS controls). Easy gives me a chance to get a feel for the game, to not have to make lightning quick decisions, check out the map/graphics/whatever at my leisure between building something or crushing some foo'.

If the game is good, I'll go back and play on Medium. Some games are like crack and I go back and play Hard or Nightmare or whatever the hard/est difficulties are. Like Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War.

I'm telling you guys...if you've never played it, give it a whirl. It's cheesy Space Church but it's just...friggin awesome to play (the campaign especially). I really like World In Conflict so far, but I haven't felt that "AWESOME!" factor yet. It took me about the first 5 or 6 campaign levels of Warhammer to start feeling it and got incredibly strong by the time the final campaign scenario began...sorta like that moment in Knights of the Old Republic (Star Wars RPG by the dudes who did Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, etc, Bioware is the best RPG dev out there!) when that mega plot twist (not gonna spoil it in case anyone reads this and wants to give it a shot...it's well worth it and nice and long with a killer story...and it's NON-CHEEZE STAR WARS best of all!) unfolds and you are so addicted you start worrying you be like those Korean guys who play for 4 days straight and die at the computer lol.

*ahem*

lol

and if momma and I ever get divorced, it won't be over video games (she loves them as much as I loves them heh). It will be because I gave her a video card or something for her anniversary ;)

I do recall when I was complaining about my controls on the Prince of Persia game because of the fact that I was so used to gamepads, and you told me that the mouse and keyboard it the way to go. Now I learned to play with the mouse and keyboard/keypad with it and other FPS games. I know I can learn to control this RTS game, its just a matter of time for me. But I'm still loving this game no matter what, even if I have to reload the missions more than a dozen to get a medal, he he he lol.