Sign in to follow this  
Guest r3d c0m3t_merged

The Unofficial Halo 3 Thread

I don't think there is anything "wrong" with it. People have different preferences. Personally i'm better with a k/b and mouse. Some are better with a controller.

I don't think there is anything "wrong" with it. People have different preferences. Personally i'm better with a k/b and mouse. Some are better with a controller.
So here's the way I see it. Sure a KB and mouse are better for gaming. There's more control, better accuracy, and more key combinations so the player can react faster in-game. However one of the biggest reasons I got away from PC gaming entirely is the issue of "the unfair advantage."

The problem with PCs is that you may have saved all your hard earned cash to build what you think is a pretty swanky rig, but then a guy/gal halfway across the planet has a nicer one that mommy and daddy bought for them. They have the latest phase-cooled quad core system with DDR3, a gaming mouse with a higher report rate and adjustable weighting, a gaming keyboard programmed with in-game macros/scripts, a faster video card/SLI that gives them more detail, a 5 speaker surround sound system, a faster internet connection for lower latency, etc etc. So when you both log on to play online, they have a real - and in my mind, unfair - advantage. That is not a level playing field. Plus the potential for cheating on a PC is obviously much more likely than on a console. Realistically, it is technically impossible to "cheat" on a console, at least by way of hooks, seperate programs, etc.

So FPS gaming is sure better with a mouse and KB, but part of what makes the console more exciting to me is that it is a totally level playing field. Skill is king - not hardware. The guy with the phase cooled quad core SLI rig doesn't have any advantage whatsoever in the console world. He's holding the same controller connected to the exact same console as everbody else.

Think of it this way - do you EVER hear about guys comparing hardware on a console gaming site? No. Never. They talk about matches they won/lost, moves they pulled etc. I used to play pretty competitively in the PC gaming world, and I got sick of gamers talking about how cool their rig was in forums. They posted pics. WTF? I thought this was supposed to be about the actual game, not the hardware that runs it.

My rant for the day.

At the risk of breaking my NDA... I agree, the graphics aren't a huge leap forward. Bungie still refused to release the game in true 1080p, which I personally think is a huge mistake. However the actual multiplayer action is truly a huge step forward from Halo 2. All we get in the Epsilon is the MP, so I can't comment on the SP gameplay. If you have an *illegal* pre-release retail copy, then you have the SP campaign as well... :P See that sticker on the top that says "Do not sell until Sept 25th" ? Someone could lose their official MS distribution license by giving you that, hehe. Enjoy!

From what I remember of the Xbox 360 release notes I thought it wasn't 1080P capable. I think the PS3 is the only console presently offering 1080P output.

Guest r3d c0m3t

Only a few hours left until launch. :rolleyes:

I doubt I'll be receiving mine after midnight, although I love games just as much as anything else (sometimes even more), I refuse to stand in a line for hours, if not days on end. So, I'll either be receiving mine in the mail directly tomorrow or on Wednesday.

We should put together a DIY clan or something. Heh. A clan just for us geeks.

Awesome.

We should put together a DIY clan or something. Heh. A clan just for us geeks.
Are you implying there are clans that contain non-geeks?

Guest r3d c0m3t
Are you implying there are clans that contain non-geeks?

Definitely not. :shake:

Just for us folks here, that's what I meant to say.

Every clan I've been in thus far has had their share of dummies, plain and simple. Either no one takes the game seriously, or everyone wants to play "Let's help the blue (or red) team win by betraying my fellow clan members."

Not to jump off topic here, but does anyone but me think FPS games on a console, using a controller is just wrong?

yep

it sucks

put me up against the TWO BEST IN THE ENTIRE WORLD fps players on console and let me play with mouse and keyboard and I'll win 100-1-1 every single match.

Console fps on controller = sucks worse than butthole cancer

From what I remember of the Xbox 360 release notes I thought it wasn't 1080P capable. I think the PS3 is the only console presently offering 1080P output.

bzzzzzt incorrect

-10 points for you

the Xbox360 can put out true 1080p