Sign in to follow this  
mscheaf

Is 8800 worth it for nforce4??

Socket 939 fan here wanting to upgrade my video card. I am looking at the 8800's, and they look great, but I am just wondering if it is even worth it on an older system like mine? Can nForce4 handle this beast and run it like it should? Or would I get close performance for a lot less money using a 7 series? Money is no problem, I will get whatever card will work best with the system in my sig. Thanks in advance

I have run the card in my sig in my current rig, as well as another NF4 with an X2-3800 stock. I have also ran my 8800 in my dad's rig, which is a C2D @2.6, 2GB ddr800, P5B.

All of them ran pretty much the same. Smooth as butter on all the systems, with any game maxed out @1680x1050.

Go for the 8800. :)

If you care about playing games....go for the 8800. If you care about benchmarking mostly.....get the 8800 and a C2D system.

Thanks, I will get an 8800 then. Either a eVGA or XFX since I have had very good experiences with both these brands for a long time.

Socket 939 fan here wanting to upgrade my video card. I am looking at the 8800's, and they look great, but I am just wondering if it is even worth it on an older system like mine? Can nForce4 handle this beast and run it like it should? Or would I get close performance for a lot less money using a 7 series? Money is no problem, I will get whatever card will work best with the system in my sig. Thanks in advance

hell yes my friend, especially if yo uare a gamer!!!

Hey, i can tell you my experience.

Now im running stock, borrowed a memory to test something, getting to that later ;)

Running nf-4 dfi lanparty-ut nf-4 sli-dr expert

Amd x2 4400+ 2mb cache

still waiting for ocz platinium 2x 1gb pc 4000 (ddr500)

Ati RAdeon hd 2900 XT

Well, i tested some games with a 1gb memory system no oc at all ddr400 aswell.

I noticed in STALKER especially, that the graphics went damn smooth, but i had issues with hickups, like stopped here and there, thats mem/cpu, borrowed a nice set of memory, it went way much better, pushed a ddr500 up to 570 mhz and my cpu to 2650 that i know is running fine on my system.

That went really nice. and my bechmarks doesnt look like to be too far from the ones on internet with greater chipsets and cpu's, i reccon abit overclock, a amd cpu can do from 100-200 mhz with stock depends on what kind of cpu you got, not a dualcore? do 400 mhz :)

I do reccon to buy a videocard, and wait for ddr3 to get cheaper :D

So i had to overclock abit, memory isnt a issue at the moment, I beat mostly all of the ddr2 with abit oc :P

Same ere, runs perfectly. Games like bioshock etc are no problem with my 320mb EVGA8800gts @1680x1050.

My card doesnt overclock too good tho :( hit around 9500 points in 3dmark if that means anything to you :)

got my 8800 gts and i am completely blown away. my 3dmark05 socres were in the low 4000's now the are in the mid 11000's stock. i haven't even oc'd this sob yet!! Awesome freakin card!!

Does you manual fan control work in the Nvidia Control panel? Or is it grayed out?

Just wondering because mine didn't work until I flashed it with a BFG bios when I was in the process of overclocking it.