Sign in to follow this  
Hotshot

Any good sites for comparing all video cards? (mobile vs desktop)

I have been looking around, and I am curious what is better...

8600M GT (mobile) vs 7900 GS (in my desktop)... seems like 7900 GS is faster in some ways, and some benchmarks even seem to indicate it might be faster...

Still thinking about getting laptop, curious if the laptop I will get will have a faster video card then my desktop (I know my t7500 rapes my X2 +3800 AMD64 CPU :P)

As a side note, id imagine, at worse case, my 2-2-2-8 ram at 6460MHZ will be the same if not slower then my new 667 MHZ ddr2 shared ram (hoping the extra 200MHZ will help in lack of bad timings)...

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html

you might wont to put the Sapphire XT1950XT on your list as they are around $160 and the XT1950s are be best cards out. Before jumping on the 8800 bandwagon. Them 8600 cards are low gamers they are just low end cards with the new DirX 10 compatible. Nothing will beat A single XT1950 but the new 8800s or SLI two of them.

Your 7900Gs will bet hand down with 8600

But the money your spending on even a XT1950 is not going to show you much gain over your 7900 your best move is a 8800 320.

People waste to many brain cells on memory timings. They just don't mater anymore. Once you pass the 512 sticks. You can waste lots of time and money on the memory game for what? less then 1% gain ?

You would see a better gain moving to 2 gig of ram then you will see in upgrading you GPU with anything but a 8800.

Moving to 2 gig will exceed any loss of your 2-2-2-8 timings.

DFI made lots of money for the memory companies giving you all them settings. To play with and waste money on. Then to see that 70% of the people still have them set on Auto lol

I am not upgrading my PC (getting new pc in 6-18 months), I am thinking of purchasing a laptop... hence why I wanted a comparison with desktop video card vs laptop...

I have been using that video card guide, problem is, its only for desktops...

Also the 8600M GT is the best video card I can get on my dell laptop... and it will have two GB of 667MHZ shared ram (very much needed on vista)...

I am just wondering if it will play games almost as good as my desktop... it will own my CPU, but looks like the video card will have problems...

With Dell you can also get a 7900gs. I used my laptop to game for the last 4 months and ran Oblivion at lowest settings just fine. Specs: E1705, Core duo T2250, 2 gb ram, 7900gs

8600M GT is the best model for the laptop I am looking at... its the cheapest one... its the one I made the thread about...

17": T7250 (2GHZ), 2GB of ram, 8600M GT, 120GB HDD, 9 cell bat: 1339$

I might add 1920 x 1200 for 150$,

and a carrying bag for 30$,

and 3 years hardware warranty for 150$.

= 330$

I personally cannot find any other computer on that site (or any others) that have those key specs (17", +T7200, 8600M GT, 2GB) for under 1500.

... but still not sure if I should just get a cheap 500$ one :P

depends on what you're using it for... if you're wanting to game, plan on spending the ~$1400... if you just need it for nternet/working on.... get something cheap... shoot, the one I paid $230 for in the FS section here will even play CSS at only semi-crappy settings... lol