coolit freezone, dedicated PSU

catkicker

After talking with some people about the coolit freezone i decided to run the freezone on a separate power supply. A Meanwell S320-12. This will give me the ability to feed the unit some more voltage.

So people with peltier/tec experience I wanted to make sure I'm doing this right

coolitwiringcb1.th.jpg

The red leads would connect to the (+V) terminal on the meanwell

and the black leads connect to the(-V) terminal on the meanwell

I have replaced the stock 92mm fan with a panaflo FBA09A12H1BX 90x25mm

56.8CFM 35.0dBA. I have removed the sensor and eliminated the control module. I will use the voltage adjustment on the power supply to test how the unit performs starting with 12 volts and increasing voltage incrementally. from what I have read and and seen the peltiers on the coolit freezone should handle 15 volts BUT will the unit be able to handle heat from increased voltage. Only testing will answer that.:)

Testing will be done on a

DFI NF4 Expert

148 Opteron and a 165 Opteron

2 gigs G.Skill HZ PC4000

Nice, I look forward to your results. I'm considering what to do with my freezone. I might leave it as is and try to add it to a WC loop or maybe even take it apart and make it into some kind of chiller.

Is that another 92mm fan that has the center cut out used as a spacer? Good idea, I do that too and it helps out a lot. Maybe I am wrong but wouldn't you want the spacer between the freezone and the active fan? I an just curious but what did the guys from coolit say that made you decide to run it off a separate power source or was that just your idea?

Only if you go way below ambiant temps. It won't be a problem for me because I'm not looking for -30C temps. I just want to have a high OC that loads at about 30-40C. Basically I want to chill a WC loop and not put the tec on the cpu directly.

Will condensation be an issue?

Only actual testing will tell that. First off I'm going to bench test the unit by itself and see what kind of temps I'm getting (no load temps) That will determine

if there is a need to condensation proof the motherboard before testing load temps. Trying to get things squared away so I can actually bench test on Sunday.

Well heres some pics and info.

freezonetestingyk3.jpg

freezone13voltspb0.jpg

freezone138voltsud4.jpg

At 12V. Block temp.10.0 degressC. Fan exhaust temp.27.9 degrees C. Room temp75 degrees F.

At 13.1V. Block temp.8.2 degressC. Fan exhaust temp.28.2 degrees C. Room temp76 degrees F.

At 13.8V. Block temp.6.6 degressC. Fan exhaust temp.29.8 degrees C. Room temp76 degrees F.

Humidity readings between 51% to 53%

My conclusion is this unit will absolutely handle more voltage. At almost 14 volts the freezone running quite cool.

I tested with a Meanwell S-320-12. 13.8 volts was the maxI could get.

Next test will be with a Meanwell S-320-15

R

Good work so far Cat. What are stock volts for the unit, 12V?

Will be real interseting at the higher voltage if the lower temp of the cpu plate will create condensation.

Also, I take it that the power supply that you are using has an adjustable 12V rail, similar to the OCZ 510? edit: a careful :eek2:reread:eek2: of your opening paragraph you already answered this

Very interesting mod to the Coolit.

• 2 weeks later...

Insulating is done, sleeved the wires. The motherboard has been condensation proofed.

Out of time for now. Later this week I'll be powering it up with the new meanwell

I'll be able to run 15V and adjust it up to 18V.

Should get pretty damm chilly.

heres some pics of the freezone installed in my antec case

finishedfreezoneinstalllt3.jpg

finishedfreezoneinstallni4.jpg

anteccasevg7.jpg

In bios temp reading are 14 degrees C.

In windows at idle 15 degrees C.

1.43V priming 21 degrees C.

DFI NF4 expert

148 Opteron CCBBE 0610DPMW

2gigs of G.Skill HZ PC4000

7900GTX OC.volt modded