Sign in to follow this  
Buffy635

Question regarding how a BIOS chip works

First, I'll describe the situation.

Starting maybe a couple weeks ago, compy began locking and rebooting itself. Because this happened after windows loaded, generally, I assumed that the trouble had something to do with my install. In the past couple days the machine would reboot and lock immediately. Now, I don't even make the post screen.

I have disconnected everything from the board and ran through the protocols regarding reseting the CMOS and also flashing the BIOS. I have reset the BIOS using the jumper and Tmod's BIOS utility CD more times than I can count and it still hangs before post. I'm not even receiving correct post codes.

Because I know the RAM and CPU are good I'm only down to one option.

Can a BIOS chip fail to the point where flashing the thing has no effect? As I said I have flashed it many times and there seems to be no change. I figure I should ask before I scrap the thing.

I assume the board is borked. The CFX3200 has a poor track record and I've really been running on borrowed time while it worked.

Because I know the RAM and CPU are good I'm only down to one option.

Probably need to get this out of the way. What testing was done to verify these components are not faulty.

Probably need to get this out of the way. What testing was done to verify these components are not faulty.

Sorry I should have said that I dropped them into another machine to determine if they had died.

To me it sounds more like something has been overheating over time, and died. I'd question the Mosfet temperatures or the Chipset temps, but it could easily be your PSU.

I reckon you can't check the temps on the Mosfets and Chipset, but maybe you should try to clean you PSU and check if the fans are able to spin around. Try another PSU, if u haven't already.

I've had, roughly speaking, the same issue with a dying GPU due to lack of power.

It is also possible for you to buy a pre-flashed BIOS chip off of Tmod I believe. Try to PM him.

Yeah, I hate to say it but if indeed the CPU and Memory are good then something is dying or dead.

Break the rig down to it's basic components and start there. Use 1 stick of memory use only the basic PCI cards - in your case I assume that means you just need a video card and nothing else. If you have duplicates of anything then you can test out the individual components. IE - try different sticks of memory and different Video cards and see if anything changes. If not, then as other's said, the motherboard is likely dying. If that's the case then maybe you can get lucky and there will be obvious signs of failure on the component. Such as a browned/burnt component on the board or heat relate discoloration on a solder joint. If that's the case then it's possible to hijack the fried part from another board... that's all a bit involved though. Try booting with the basic. Try using a big butt fan on the motherboard too. Like a box fan just to see if it helps at all.