Sign in to follow this  
Branjo

Another Build advice

I haven't even installed an OS yet. I had a slight hiccup where it wouldn't boot but that was resolved when I figured out the cpu heatsink wasn't fully seated. So now i'll probably play with it tomorrow. I have to get my stuff ready to go back to work tomorrow so I'm trying not to get distracted by the new computer lol. But i'll let you know when I do get it up and running how different it feels compared to the e4300. I'll probably even do some tests like benchmark scores and video encoding tests and stuff like that to see just how much faster it is.

As far as the eVGA vs XFX thing i'd choose whoever has the better price. Both of them have great warranties and quality. More often than not i've noticed that eVGA usually has the cheapest price out of all of the manufactuers which is why I like them so much.

And the P180B is definatly a nice case. You shouldn't have any problems fitting the OCZ in there. The thing you might want to think about though is that with a 8800GTX you can't use the two upper HDD slots. I'm not sure if you can use them with a GTS since they are a little smaller but just keep that in mind if you were planning on using the upper HDD slots.

I just saw this combo deal on newegg that will save you 10 bucks with an XFX 8800: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCombo...eSize=10&page=1

ah ha, Nice one 10 bucks is still 10 bucks and 2 times thats 20 :).

I'm assuming (hopefully) that the top hard drive rack can be taken out and give me the space needed for the 8800 and maybe run a few cables in there, and with the benefit of an extra 120mm fan in front of the lower bay should get rid of most of the heat from the drives through the PSU exhaust, Although the PSU will be getting slightly warm air from the drives the 120mm should push it through at a decent speed for it not to heat up too much, I hope.

I think your better off going to work first cause once you start messing around with it then the next time you lift your head the sun will be up and then its a 3 minute shower, a bad shave, odd socks and no breakfast. :D

Thanks bro

Yeah i'm pretty sure that HDD cage is removable. I was considering one of these awhile back and thats one of the reasons I decided on getting a Stacker. Well as you can tell i'm still awake so looks like i'm gonna pull an all nighter. Which is mostly because i didn't plan ahead and get used to waking up early so my time clock is all out of whack. But on the bright side my stuff is all ready to go to work and my fridge is stocked with mountain dew and I got the new rig up and running with a trial version of Vista so I can get files off of my 500 gig drives and get them ready to be raided together. After that the 320 gig drives are gonna be wiped and have XP/Vista installed on them for the quad core machine. Then I have two 80 gig drives to use for the E4300 machine. So basically I'm gonna swap some hardware between the two and have the quad core have the better stuff.

Yeah the Quad deserves all the best stuff.

I was looking at the tomshardware comparision charts for the Q6600 and the encoding times look awesome. The first time I did a DVD all the way to DivX was with an athlon XP1900 and the time it took from I started to rip the DVD untill the finished 700mb movie file was like 6 hours. I can't wait to see the quad in action. Man I have'nt had an upgrade of any kind in like 2 years since I got the X800 and the before that was another year when I got the 3700 and the NF3. So I better do some laundry and have a fresh pair of shorts ready.

I have had RS Vegas sitting on my shelf for like 2 months and can't even play it.

In that case we'll have to play some R6 Vegas some time. Angry got the Hamachi thing all setup again and i've yet to play co-op with anyone.

And so far just looking through the bios of this Abit board it looks pretty promising. I notice it has more memory dividers than my current Gigabyte..although i also haven't updated the bios yet and still running the F7 that it came with so maybe Gigabyte has added more by now. I will probably stick with this P35 for awhile but if I do happen to cave and buy a X38 when they come out it'll be a tough decision between Abit and Gigabyte.

yeah dude , it'd be a buzz look forward to it.

Yeah I was looking at the X38's and by the looks of some they still have the LPT1 ports ..lol. I bought a 965 DS3 from CPDMF which I can't even boot up due to thats all the hardware I have, but I know it works , he is a good guy. Now I have leapfrogged that inorder to use the P35 so I really know nothing about the latest chipsets other than what I've read.

The X38 Lanparty looks really nice, but more than likely gonna be in the $200-$300 region. Is It me or are there 3 PCIe x 16 slots?. And weirder still the ABIT X38 also has what look like 3 but 2 of them are right next to each other, whats that about?

I see the Q6600 deal is still on ,thinking new buld ,fastfish jr. loves my comp for lan partys I would like to have bigger case for wc ect. Love the mom race car. the guys at work wont race my car,but I got them with jr.s 68 when I took it to work!:)

I have the P180B and its real nice. Cable mgmt is a real b*tch and the 4pin power cables only just reached (I had to use pliers to push them into the sockets - upper top left of the mobo).

All the HDD cages are removable - the one that could interfere with the GPU also has the little storage box on the back but not a real loss if you have to lose it. Fortunately my mobo has all the SATA ports on the bottom left so using the bottom tray is not a problem.

I have the P180B and its real nice. Cable mgmt is a real b*tch and the 4pin power cables only just reached (I had to use pliers to push them into the sockets - upper top left of the mobo).

All the HDD cages are removable - the one that could interfere with the GPU also has the little storage box on the back but not a real loss if you have to lose it. Fortunately my mobo has all the SATA ports on the bottom left so using the bottom tray is not a problem.

Can you use the top HDD cage with your 8800 in or are you forced to use the bottom? I really like the idea of the PSU at the bottom and kinda cut off from the rest of the system. Have you noticed any temp benefit from the PSU being at the bottom and also the HDD's being in the lower cage. I think that even having a fan intake blowing on your hard drives in a standard layout case, just adds to the heat as my HDD's usually sit in the 35 -40C range so the hot hot gets pulled off them and sent to everything else.

Im kinda worried about airflow as I have my rig in a really cheap nasty 20 dollar ebay case and the worst part is I have both sides off and desk fan blowing at it so it looks like s**t.

I picked the P180 cause its very stylish and doesn't scream "GEEK !" like an alienware case would ya know...lol. Plus I liked the vertically mounted USB ports, my USB drives is on my keys and they put a little extra weight on my current ports and they kinda droop a little. It also has a nice design inside and I need the air flow to be good.

I noticed the ????'s in your initial post so I figured I'd let you know that the transcend in my sig has been performing very well for me. Clean, Stylish, Attention to Detail is great and they actually perform at a level worth twice the price. DDR2 900 4 4 4 12 @ 2.0v DDR2 1070 5 5 5 15 2.1v and will get over 1100 without too much effort. That's with 4 1Gig sticks in. Worth a look. Newegg has them for 70bux.

Can't help you on the case, never had a nice one.

You know CP I was looking at those very sticks, they look sweet.

Seeing as Im basically buying 2 of everything will newegg give me 2 rebates for 2 of the same items, just read a review saying 1 rebate per person, per household, per period.

I'm kinda drawn to the Crucial Ballistix $109 with a $47 MIR, Clubit have a $40 MIR so just to be sure should I buy one from each?

Sign in to follow this