Sign in to follow this  
mash996

Which Socket 775 chipsets to buy?

Need advice on which chipsets to go? I'm intersted in a Q6600 setup with the MB. :eek2:

Coming off of a Lanparty board, I'd have to recommend the 680i chipset. It seems to do very well with OCing, and the bugs some complained of are long gone.

The P35 is also a good choice, in most cases it clocks higher than the 680i. If you're not used to the Intel bios, it can be a pain to work with.

The DFI boards for either of these chips is a good choice as well as BFG, eVGA, and Gigabyte. Stay away from Asus, they're all hype. Poor products selling for high prices based on brand name, I think.

Your other option is to wait for the x38 chips to come out, but I'd only do that if you have a hard-on for DDR3 at it's current prices.

The P35 is about the best for Quads right now. X38 will be out in a few weeks, but I'm sure it will take a few bios updates to get it just right but should be worth waiting for.. X38 will be available with DDR2 memory standard as well as well as DDR3

Thanks a lot...I still do not know which route to go, though. Shall I wait as It's going to be a brand new build, or shall I go with P35 MB?

Thanks a lot...I still do not know which route to go, though. Shall I wait as It's going to be a brand new build, or shall I go with P35 MB?

It depends how long you willing to wait. X38 is coming out pretty soon and will support DDR2 and DDR3 which is pretty sweet but like already said won't function properly until a few BIOS revisions. P35 is out now and rocking for quads. I got the Gigabyte P35-DQ6 and boot easily 4G with the Q6600 I got. I'm running 3.8G 24/7 because my chip needs too much voltage to run 4G stable. If you can't wait go for the P35 otherwise X38 unless you want SLI and than I would stick to the nForce chipset's!

I'm in the same boat as you Mash. However, I'm waiting. I want to see what the X38 boards have to offer for quad overclocking. The P35 boards run the quads very well. People are getting very good results with the ABIT IP35 Pro. I'm hoping the intro of the x38 boards helps to drop the prices of the P35 boards. Hopefully the DDR3 prices start to drop once the x38 boards come out. My understanding is that the x38 boards will also support DDR2. If not, DDR2 is plenty available, more than capable and CHEEP. I would would not rule out a good P35 board + a good set of DDR2 over the x38 + DDR3 if DDR3 stays as expensive.

Interesting report on ABIT's x38 here. The hype so faar on the x38's is INTEL is trying to hit the enthusiast / overclocking crowd with a very chipset more clockable than the p35. Interesting that the x38 chipset has it's own IHS. I wonder how long until people start popping those off!

Sign in to follow this