One core way hotter...

I just installed a 3800+ X2 and when running Prime 95 on each core to test my overclock stability, one core has been running about 12 degrees C hotter than the other. Right now one is at 52 and the other is 64. I tried reseating the cooler in my sig after reapplying the AS5, but with the same results. I know some variation between cores is normal, but this much? Would I benefit much by switching to a more modern Zalman cooler or something like that?

Are you using Core Temp? According to many sources the diodes that Core Temp reads are way off on S939 CPU's. Not calibrated correctly. I asked myself the same question when I got my X2 4200+. Use the search function and you will find several threads about this topic.

I just installed a 3800+ X2 and when running Prime 95 on each core to test my overclock stability, one core has been running about 12 degrees C hotter than the other. Right now one is at 52 and the other is 64. I tried reseating the cooler in my sig after reapplying the AS5, but with the same results. I know some variation between cores is normal, but this much? Would I benefit much by switching to a more modern Zalman cooler or something like that?

I would change coolers anyway for noise if nothing else.

But:

1. Cooler HS may not be flat

2. CPU HS may not be flat

3. CPU HS may not be bonding well with the actual CPU (why some people cut them off)

And:

It may be some calibration (or lack thereof) problem. But 12c seems like a lot to me and I would be forced to try tracing it down if it were mine.

Here is all the latest "wisdom" on coolers :)http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80193

Yes, I'm using Core Temp. Is there another recomended one I should try instead? I heard Everest might be one. Is there a free version of that by any chance?

I'm also looking into new air cooling options. Thanks guys.

Everest is nice because the sensor section gives you the diode reading (first one) and the core readings all in one place and probably your gpu as well.

For day to day I do like Smart Guardian on DFI boards because it can do some things with my fan speeds if I have them hooked to the mother board and it is a fairly small program. SG gives me the key readings I need simply. I believe MBM may be the smallest and you have to love the display. The new CoreTemp puts both reading in the tray now ... handy.

if its the chip, RMA it

if its the cooler, RMA it.

Now, that's funny. Here is a situation where someone is trying to cool a dual core with an older style cooler, asking about a reporting result that is common, and the answer is ... drum roll please ... RMA it? I hope it was meant as a joke, as it is.