4 gigs of memory in XP 32 worth it?

Rig Soon For Sale

NF3 250Gb - AMD64 3700 Clawhammer

2 x512mb XMS 3200, ATI AIWX800XT

OCZ PS 600w

Not to steal the thread, but seems like the original poster already has his answer like 6 times over... heh Branjo, when yer ready to sell, gimme a holler. I've always wanted an nF3 250Gb based sys.. :D

• 1 month later...

jumping in here....

so let me get this straight....

if you have windows xp 32 bit version....2gbs of ram is all that will be used and if you install 4gb (4ea 1gb sticks) the most it would use is around 3.5gbs....and in bench tests the 2gbs would win anyway.....

if you have the windows xp 64 version it would use all 4gb of ram....and how are the bench marks on that????

i was thinking of adding 2gb more of ram but i won't now...untill i go xp 64....

• 1 month later...
That would be the 64bit version. And even then don't forget to install the 4GB hotpatch if you expect to be able to boot into Windows.

Hi all, just need to know what that 4gb hotpatch is as I'm planning on putting 4gb in my machine.

And in my application with my hardware I was able to keep my original overclock. The only difference when swapping from the 2gb SuperTalent kit to the 4gb of G.Skills was resetting my primary timings and voltages to those specified for the G.Skill RAM.

When I built up my system I just put the RAM in, do I need to adjust the timings to make it run better or anything like that?