Sign in to follow this  
uneedav8

4 gigs of memory in XP 32 worth it?

I was just wondering if it is even worth it to get another another 2 gigs of memory in my system. The prices on memory seem to be really low right now...and I have a friend who want to sell me some for a good price. I have read mixed things about anything over 2 gigs in XP 32. I know that windows will only pick up maybe 3.1 gigs give or take. Will this one gig of extra ram help even a little? Will this affect my current OC? I am running some 2 gigs of Corsair CL3 right now. If I decide to add another 2 gigs to my system, will I have to lower the ram timings since I will be populating all 4 slots? If the answer is yes, is there any point to paying a lot more for a CL3 set? I figure it should be the exact same. I am not a heavy OC'er.....I am currently running my C2 E6600 at 2.9.

System:

Asus P5W

Core 2 E6600

2x1024 Corsair XMS2 CL3

2x74 Rapor RAID 0

ATI X1300

PC Power & Cooling 650 Silencer

You could add the RAM in case you want to try a 64bit OS in the future. It would be a shame to lose out on a good deal. The extra RAM will definitely boost performance, but like you said XP (x86) will not pick up on the full amount. You're right, all the sticks should be the same model, keep an eye out for the revision if there are any problems with using all 4.

I am not sure about how the C2D likes 4 sticks, I have yet to venture into the dark side. I will let somebody who knows more about it answer that one, rather than just guess. I should be getting some C2D and AM2 stuff soon, so I will be able to answer questions like this fully, once I learn more about it.

i would deffanatly upgrade your GPU instead, go for a 8800gts or similar,you will see a huge improvment over your old card, ive got 2 gigs of my sig ram on my shelf ,but i would not bother adding it to my currant machine, i can see the point adding 2 more gigs and only using 1 gig of it , get a GPU

Guest SuppA-SnipA

ya get the gpu, but unless u use vista as ur main Os, stay at 2gbs, even 2gbs ram for vista is great

ya get the gpu, but unless u use vista as ur main Os, stay at 2gbs, even 2gbs ram for vista is great

That would be the 64bit version. And even then don't forget to install the 4GB hotpatch if you expect to be able to boot into Windows.

XP with service pack 2 will not see 4GB. It will only see 2 to 3.5 GB depending upon what else in the board is using MMIO addresses.

XP with SP1 or just regular old XP will see the full 4GB. However, performace gain is less than 2% above 2GB.

I have this sort of setup now. Was a 64-bit system, but rolled it back to XP 32-bit. 4GB of ECC REG DDR and 2x Opteron 270s. XP sees 3.25GB of memory.

Running a few benches shows that in some tests 2GB beats having 3GB or 4GB installed. 4GB never wins. But, I leave it in there as I want as much memory in there for all the times things do get intense on the memory front and Task Manager shows that little extra may be helping.

Well a 32bit OS can only use 2gb of ram max by addressing, you need a 64bit OS and 64bit CPU to take advantage of 2gb+

Even if you don't want to use all 4gb of RAM right now, price wise it's a good choice if you can afford it to pick some up and set it back for the future. I predict prices will eventually rebound and then at some point DDR2 RAM will become a hot commodity (just like DDR1 did) towards the end of it's shelf life.

I picked up 4gb of the DDR2 G.Skill HZ's just because of that. For a total cost of $219.90 with free shipping when I bought them.

With all of that being said, a new GPU would really spring some life into your system especially if you do any gaming.

And in my application with my hardware I was able to keep my original overclock. The only difference when swapping from the 2gb SuperTalent kit to the 4gb of G.Skills was resetting my primary timings and voltages to those specified for the G.Skill RAM.

I agree with Wev, The price on DDR2 now is almost half what is was 8 months ago, and it wont stay at that forever. It could be a wise investment for the future. If you add another Gig stick then I don't think Dual channel will be possible unless you get 2 x 512mb to go with the 2 x 1gb maybe someone with firsthand knowledge could clear that up for me.