Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, Or... Neither!

32 members have voted

1. 1.

• Blu-Ray
    • HD-DVD
    • DVD is fine for now
    • Wait to see if market decides Blu-Ray or HD-DVD
    • Blu-Ray/HD-DVD = LaserDisc - "Wait till the next big tech comes along"

don't jump too fast into the hype that all the sudden has come up for "needing" blu-ray or HD-DVD to play games. At this moment, there isn't a single game out there that requires even a full 9GB that a normal DL DVD can offer. Even Bioshock and RS Vegas only measure in at 6GB.

I've heard this hype from one developer (Rock Star or 2k, which one publishes for the other). As much as I respect either of them, I don't see the other major players jumping into the fray like Epic (Unreal engine), Id (Doom engine), EA (whatever bull crap engine they hack together), etc.

Also, I'd like to say that if you have watched a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD movie over a real (and good) HDTV with 5.1 or better digital sound and weren't completely blown away, I think there's something wrong with you. I watch DVD's all the time, and my Xbox360 makes them all look good at 480p, but watching a movie in 1080 on an HD-DVD or especially a Blu-Ray on my brother's Samsung DLP that is only a few months old at 1080p...there's simply no comparison except going to a real theater that has a huge HD screen.

I'm not douting the improved image etc. but the real wow factor came from the rather large TV my friend has.

I'm sure if I'd had a large widescreen TV of some description then I would probably be more enthusiastic but the LARGE TV's have a bigger impact for me.

Some interesting points from all.

I'm not a SONY hater (or lover) but I do know "the best" technology seldom wins a format war.

Cost to the public is generally a very important deciding factor.

And it will cost more to produce BR versions. So I think HD DVD will win.

Especially if the rumors of $199 players this Christmas proves true.

As AG implies, either one is hell of a good signal source (the best).

My biggest complaint is that the current mechanisms from both camps are very slow responding to commands.

Talking about dedicated players here as I have neither PS3 or Xbox.

The hotties on the local news look better in HD. (Well, most of them anyway)

Usually when I have the time to watch a movie, it's when I'm beat and too tired to do anything else, but it's also too early to go to bed without feeling really old. So I just don't care what it looks like because I'm going to fall asleep half way through it anyway.

The hotties on the local news look better in HD

V. good point. There seems to be a lack of HD p*rn too and that's usually key in determining the winning format (I haven't even bothered checking this as I'm at work). I've read in quite a few articles how p*rn helped VHS win as Sony said no p*rn on Betamax. They initially said this about BR but its all gone quiet now.

Guest r3d c0m3t
V. good point. There seems to be a lack of HD p*rn too and that's usually key in determining the winning format (I haven't even bothered checking this as I'm at work). I've read in quite a few articles how p*rn helped VHS win as Sony said no p*rn on Betamax. They initially said this about BR but its all gone quiet now.

It's funny that you should say that because HD DVD is exclusively (there's that word again) backed by several pr0n publishers - Wicked Pictures, Bang Bros, Digital Playground, Inc., Club Jenna, and Pink Visual. HD DVD also has the backing (although not explicitly exclusive) from Vivid Entertainment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_DVD

There's the linky, scroll down to "Corporate and industry support."

One other thing I can say is if HVD were ever offered to the masses, or even an UHD disc...both HD DVD and Blu-ray would be trounced upon. UHD can output resolutions more crisp and more detailed than 1080p (but requires a larger screen) and HVD is superior to HD DVD and Blu-ray in several instances, but it's greatest drawback is the green laser it uses that outputs approximately 1 watt of power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_High_Definition_Video

Those are the articles, if anyone is interested in the least.

They are both way too crap on with DRM, but Blu-Ray is an infinitely worse offender. Lose the restrictions that make it difficult to use HD DVDs on a PC and it's got my vote.

I'm still waiting for the capability to project movies in space, though. Perhaps two projections, intersecting 200 miles above the surface of the Earth, creating an image thousands of miles wide. I'm sure the astronomers wouldn't mind all their stars being covered by hardcore pr0n. :tooth:

Neither.

DVDs suck butt because they're lowres. If you have a good television, and you think DVDs are ok, you're probably a) blind B) a normal dumbass consumer c) have a worse television than you think. On my old 27" Toshiba DVDs looked great, more than I could ever ask for. On my 50" Sony A2000 I upgraded to when I found employment that wasn't crap, DVDs are unacceptable.

Bluray and HDDVD are so crippled in terms of portability and usage I'm never going to bother. I use my PC to play all of my stuff. I don't want to complicate . by having more hardware. I like using IRC, web browsing, then playing a DVD. Getting up to put it in the drive is a concept I am unaware of, and never want to familiarize myself with. To hell with learning remotes, too.

I'd rather download a copy then buy it and look up all this AACS HDCP cracking bull crap. Yeah I'm a nerd but I don't want to do that . when it's totally unnecessary. I shouldn't have to have a fvcking TV and videocard that supports some unnecessary protocol just to keep me from being a ZOMG THIEF. It makes _no_f|_|cking_sense_ to me that when I pay for it, it's more trouble than when I don't. Until it's less work for me when I pay for it then when I usenet it, I won't be buying.

Quick fact - Throughout history the most successful formats are the ones most easily pirated. :)

I try to avoid it at all costs by recording what airs on television. It's not the same, but it's pretty awesome looking, and I don't have to jump through a million hoops so I can play stuff, encode a copy for my portable video player, or watch it on my non army-encryption-grade HDTV.

Id agree with that Thasp. Since I got my 22" I thew on a DVD and it was all grainy, I voted DVD cause it'll do but the better the screen the worse it looks.