Fogel

32 members have voted

1. 1.

• Blu-Ray
    • HD-DVD
    • DVD is fine for now
    • Wait to see if market decides Blu-Ray or HD-DVD
    • Blu-Ray/HD-DVD = LaserDisc - "Wait till the next big tech comes along"

I just don't get the same vibe from either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD like I did when CDs and DVDs came out. When they came out you KNEW tapes and VHS were going away. The market decides who wins and who loses so kinda curious what you people think since we got pretty much the whole gamut trolling these boards.

But I s'pose you can attack this question either way you want. Whether it is a "Who will win?" or a "Who is getting my money?".

well, I'd say buy a PS3 so you can have a good gaming system plus Blu-Ray

If you have an Xbox360, the HD-DVD player is unbeatable deal (especially since it also works on Windows pc's!).

My answer is to wait not so much to see who wins the format war, but to wait for players that will play both disc types.

Either/or, I'd say wait a while because by next year, the prices will be down a lot (remember when dvd burners were $200+? And now they are $30? lol)

I don't have the stacks of cash necessary to get a HD TV and a HD player and HD media and pay the extra for HD cable.

Having seen it its good but it doesn't seem to add that much to my enjoyment of films. I don't watch them for the clarity of colour or fine detail. I want to be entertained/ blown away/ surprised/ shocked.

Now stereo sound to 5.1 - that was good. DVD to HD whatever is a but more ho-hum.

DVD is fine; the HD formats are still too expensive and IMO it's not worth investing a lot in one format or the other until the format war is over. Case-in-point; Beta adopters got screwed when the VHS format took over.

HD DVD FTL, just because its easier for the companies to make HD DVD's it should win? How about the consumer and the fact there is more potenial with blu ray not to mention the higher capacity lol yes I do own a ps3 lol

Guest r3d c0m3t

HD DVD. Why? Two reasons, between the two (Blu-ray/HD DVD) there is NO significant difference between the two to actually warrant one being better than the other (tech-wise), other than what forums support the two formats and the content protection methods, respectively. Two, not that I choose favorites in the tech sector, but I really despise Sony for so many reasons.

Another reason just for the hell of it...HD DVD is and always will be cheaper, to the average consumer that extra storage capacity leverage Blu-ray has over HD DVD is meaningless. Hell, it's meaningless to even me. :rolleyes:

Guest r3d c0m3t
HD DVD FTL, just because its easier for the companies to make HD DVD's it should win? How about the consumer and the fact there is more potenial with blu ray not to mention the higher capacity lol yes I do own a ps3 lol

I'd like to say first off what I'm about to say has no influence on or toward you, this is solely aimed at the PS3 and Sony (in general). You say because of the higher capacity Blu-ray has makes it more ideal to the user? I'd like to take this a different route...the PS3 is a pain to program for because of the utterly useless CELL architecture key to the PS3 (why such an elaborate workstation-based CPU architecture would be used in a console is beyond me to begin with) and because of this a lot of programmers/game companies are now deciding to port "Playstation Exclusives" to the Wii and/or the Xbox 360.

Case in point, more or less. Use that same analogy for the HD DVD/Blu-ray bout. Sony set the bar way too high (as they always do) all I have to say in closing is...Betamax. :cool:

hmmmm

http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news...114121621749053

"Xbox 360 doesn't have Blu-ray," Hermen Hulst, managing director at Guerilla explains, "PlayStation 3 does. [A single level] is 2GB. We really need Blu-ray to make the game. I don't know how you could fit it on Xbox 360 without taking some shortcuts".

I guess I was taking the thread out of context. For movies Im fine with DVD's, for games Blu-ray