2 Dual tuners???

jelly

I have been looking for hours and cant find the answer! :mad: Can windows vista media center run two dual tv tuners? I am looking for a total of 4 tuners in my box. Do any of you run two dual tuners? I stream all my tv to my 360 so other software will not work "that I know of". I want to get rid of my set top box and just use my 360 as the set top box "save some money on cable!". Please help if you can.

Can windows vista media center run two dual tv tuners?

My box is a work in progress, BUT - yes it can right out of the box (I think).

You didn't mention if you want SD or HD tuners, though.

I think Vista will use up to four of ether (ie: two dual tuners), and can be "moded" to unlimited tuners through a register hack. (Look for this to be included in SP1)

Currently I'm using a Haupgage 500 dual for SD content off my cable, and an HDHomerun dual HD box for two feeds off an antenna.

The HDHR needs some work still - my fault I think - but the box IS using two dual tunners. :)

(PS I'm using an old P4 3.2MHz box with 2G ram and a 500Mb drive, not the box in my sig.)

Right now I am running a hauppauge HVR-1600. It has one analog tunner and one ATSC over-the-air tunner. I want to put in another HVR-1600 so I can record 2 analog channles and 2 hd over-the-air channles at the same time. Both my wife and I like to watch recorded shows only so we can skip the commercials. Right now we are having problems where I want to record one show in analog and she wants to record one in analog "same with HD" at the same time. I can record one HD show and one analog at the same time. I want two of each. Just dont want to buy a second card and not have it work with media center.

Thanks for the reply!

You should be fine, then.

However, I always check user comments for any product on Newegg.

They often have valuable tips on driver instilation and problem work-arounds that can save hours of "really fun trouble-shooting". :cool:

Woops!

Something about "hybred" tuners susch as yours struck a chord, so I checked the product page ...

Watch and record ATSC high definition digital TV or analog cable TV on your PC, in a window or full screen!

I have heard this about hybred cards.

Are you SURE that you can record form BOTH tuners AT THE SAME TIME with the one card you have now?

If not, you won't gain that much with two cards - just a two chanel record at the same time.

With mine I can record four at once.

Just don't want you to be disapointed.

Can you use a spliter with an antenna? Will I need to use two antenna if I have 2 tv cards, or will the spliter on the antenna work for both cards?

Sure, a splitter is just what you will need, but for HD make SURE it's labled "5-1000 MHz", as older splitters with a lower top number (like 500 or 800) were designed for cable and SD signals, and can degrade the UHF HD signal.

And here we enter the really wierd world of HD antenna reception.

(If you know of a witch doctor it might help.)

First, placement of the antenna is critical - sometimes moving it 6 inches can make a big difference.

Moving it up (higher) almost always helps.

Adding a "Distribution Amplifier" like the Winegard HDA-100 (that came with my Winegard SS-2000 antenna) or better HDA-200 can sometimes bring in a HD channel that was "dodgie" clear and clean ... sometimes.

There's a TON more stuff about antenna-craft, but what works for the guy next door may not work for you.

Best to just buy from someplace you can return to for your money back, and go ahead and TRY whatever it is you think might work.

PS: My antenna is rated for about 20 miles from the transmitter, but I'm having great results 50 miles away and behind some tall bamboo.

Go figure!

Sure, a splitter is just what you will need, but for HD make SURE it's labled "5-1000 MHz", as older splitters with a lower top number (like 500 or 800) were designed for cable and SD signals, and can degrade the UHF HD signal.

I will go pickup a spliter this weekend and give it a shot. I have a good signal with my antenna, but I live on the second story of my house so that help alot.