Sign in to follow this  
alexfort93

Best cooling option

I need a good air cooler for a cheap price. Trying to OC my X2 and when I get up the 2.5GHz at 1.4V load temp reaches 70C. If anyone knows any or has one to sell..

I use a Arctic-Cooler 64 It works pretty good and was not expensive at all. They may even have newer products out not. Try doing a google for "arctic cooler"

I'm a Thermalright man, myself, and have had fantastic results from my Ultra 120 Extreme with a 120 CFM fan. At 1.6125v, 3.5GHZ, my cpu hits 48 under full load. Even an 80 or 90 cfm fan should get you close to these numbers.

Those 3800's seem to run hot from what I read but never had one. Technohydra's Ultra 120 Extreme is the best bet but not cheap. Big Typhoon is cheaper and I like it and comparison numbers are close to Ultra 120.

You may want to use the Ultra for that hot little cpu. What are you using now?

3800's don't run that hot (i've had more than a few of them come through my hands, and have one right now @ 250x10, 2500Mhz using just a stock Opteron AMD sink with the little heatpipes and it rarely gets above 50C when running Orthos). Consider that my 3800+ is an original and one of the ones that does run warmer than the ones out now.

AC Freezer64 Pro

Utlra-120

Tuniq Tower

Big Typhoon/Mini-Typhoon

Zalman 9500/9700

all good choices. Check the SVC links in our sigs and see what they have, SVC is hard to beat for cooling.

I did check that place out, seems like they have quite a selection. Right now I am using the stock heatsink. I was thinking about reapplying some AS5. Will these all fit in my case/motherboard? I've seen pictures of these on boards and they seem BIG, so I just want to make sure it is small enough that it will fit. I was looking at the Ultra 120, might go with that.

I found the base of the heatsink on the AC 64Pro to be in really poor shape but I could have got a bad batch. Still it was interesting lapping it but I'd rather have spent that evening playing with my computer than sandpaper. It is a good cooler by the way.

I found the base of the heatsink on the AC 64Pro to be in really poor shape but I could have got a bad batch. Still it was interesting lapping it but I'd rather have spent that evening playing with my computer than sandpaper. It is a good cooler by the way.

I just lapped my Freezer64 Pro finally tonight while watching some show on Nat'l Geographic about naked taboos lol.

I don't think you got a bad batch Seud, I think all of them were very poor...but the great thing about them is they are EXTREMELY EASY to lap (I even got me one of those cheese lapping kits from SVC for like $6.99 just because I'm lazy).

It's a lot of fun lapping a heatsink honestly...a bit tedious and makes my wrist hurt, but very easy and very interesting.

I got my lapping kit and instructions here http://www.pcviper.net/ and it took me about 3.5 hours

Lapping is kinda interesting, also rewarding in a honest manual labour way. Thankfully copper is softer than aluminium.

Lapping also increases the bond between a man and his machine - just watch your fingers on those fins, blood and sweat should remain outside the PC.

Sign in to follow this