Sign in to follow this  
njswift10141980

Is this possible (formatting q?)

Hey guys I have a external hdd and I would like to put all my stuff from my pc on it then format my pc and only put my essential stuff back on (ie: games and some pics), is that possible and if so how do I go about doing it.

Hey guys I have a external hdd and I would like to put all my stuff from my pc on it then format my pc and only put my essential stuff back on (ie: games and some pics), is that possible and if so how do I go about doing it.

i assume you mean reload windows then put your stuff back on from the external/extra drive?

games and programs need to be re-installed.

here's the rule:

programs cannot be saved, must be re-installed. Files/saves from those programs CAN be saved (ms word docs, saved games, etc) and put back after the software is re-installed (or just put back in My Docs)

Well...programs can be moved if you have the right software but Angry is right that you can't just copy your Program Files folder over to the new PC.

might wanna look into acronis and make an image from the files you wanna save, then reinstall windows, the progams you wanna use and the image file, piece of cake:)

There was a product called Alohabob that would do what you want. Microshaft bought them so no trial version anymore, if it is ever heard from again. I bet you could still find an old copy with some creative searching. I've never tried Alohabob but hear it worked.

My song:

This is why I use an OS only partition.

Install programs to a Programs partition.

Move My Documents to another partition (either in Programs or it's own Data partition).

With format and reinstall programs that work still work and those that don't just need reinstall. Moving the new My Documents to the same old place and newly installed programs find the old stuff (the old programs that still work already know where My Documents is).

There was a product called Alohabob that would do what you want. Microshaft bought them so no trial version anymore, if it is ever heard from again. I bet you could still find an old copy with some creative searching. I've never tried Alohabob but hear it worked.

My song:

This is why I use an OS only partition.

Install programs to a Programs partition.

Move My Documents to another partition (either in Programs or it's own Data partition).

With format and reinstall programs that work still work and those that don't just need reinstall. Moving the new My Documents to the same old place and newly installed programs find the old stuff (the old programs that still work already know where My Documents is).

That doesn't seem like a good solution either. All of the programs registry settings and system files are stored on the Windows partition. If you reinstall windows then you lose all that data and most of the programs wouldn't work correctly anyway.

I've used this layout for years and it works perfectly. Yes, many big fat bloated install only to run programs will obviously not work after a windows reinstall (which is why I image the os now and then). But they are not going to work under any os reinstall protocol. Some programs even though they install, keep their settings in their own directory and they will work without reinstalling them.

This does not help njswift10141980 for his current situation, it does keep him from having to worry about it in the future.