Dell Dimension 8400

So my dad's been having trouble lately with his Dell Dimension 8400 MCE bogging down every now and then, particularly with internet radio. I never gave much thought to it, figuring it was just the internet connection, but he was having the same issue with last.fm, which I use and have no issues with.

In any event, I recommend he purchase a dual core processor. I did some research and discovered on Dell's website that there seemed to be absolutely no information whatsoever as to what processors this motherboard was compatible with. I did, however, find out that it apparently has an Intel 925X chipset.

Great, I thought, that meant I could use a Pentium D but not a C2D. So we purchase a 935.

After I installed it, the Dell would not POST. It just got stuck on the orange light when I pressed the power button. I put the old CPU in and everything is fine.

If the processor is not compatible with the motherboard, then it's a screwup on Dell's part. But I wouldn't put it past them (anyone ever notice how I only ever seem to have trouble with Dells?). Does anyone know what might be going on? Thanks.

I would think your best bet is googling the mobo model number, and see what the manufacturer's website says.

I'm not sure what the board model number is, all I got was this: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...00/SM/specs.htm

It says the chipset is 925X, but it doesn't say what the motherboard is.

I think we might have just gotten a bad chip.

Not help but I offer sympathy. That is what I hate about these mainstream machines ... it is so hard to find out what your are actually dealing with. And there is a shortage of anyone who knows anything on the forums because the people buying them know little to nothing about what they have.