Sign in to follow this  
RHKCommander959

PWM Temps?

K I got a opteron 165 lcb9e on my dfi cfx3200 and ran it through a loop of memtest86 at 3ghz and it was rock solid. it didnt run hot, but winxp wasnt happy. blued right on logo:sad: . the chipsets running ~44C, proc at like 36C w/ 25C room temperature i guesstimate. and it is on water with dual 120mm rad's, with 2x antec blue led fans set on high (79cfm).

So could the problem be that the pwm's are at 55C?? I think they're under the little aluminum heatsinks? if so and if the problem is the heat, i'll just buy and place a spotcool over 'em. otherwise, any suggestions? ~1.45v i think vcore

oh yes and the memory is on a 150 divider but i'll go lower and see if there's any resolve.

Hello,

Probably not the problem, could be the timings.

Do you have a better PSU to try?

Your one costs around $26.

I'm guessing at your main bios settings but i think they are like this:

HTT: 334

CPU multi: 9

Mem Divider: 150

HTT multi: 3

If that's the case, then it puts your 4x512 sticks at 250.5mhz. You hav'nt got a cat in hells chance of running 4x512 at 250mhz in Windows, regardless of what Memtest tells you. The best thing to do is to drop to the 140, or 133 divider. Chances are that even the 140 divider, which will put your ram at 231.23mhz may not run in Windows. The 133 divider is your best bet and should be ok. As Sharp said, a $26 PSU is not going to get you very far for very long.

Passing Memtest is just one step. The only real value is that if fails Memtest, there is no use trying to boot into Windows. Not only that, but even if you pass Prime, there is still a chance you won't be 3D stable.

yeah 334 with 250 ram; the ram is rated ddr500, and it runs it well. but i will try 133 when i hit 3g.

i was running ~2.9 with the ram pulling ddr540 with tighter than stock ddr500 timings.. this ram is wonderful, i think if i put a high cfm fan over them i could probably pull ddr600, i've goten to 580 but they were super hot:sweat:

how many volts do people typically use around 3?

lol and yes thats a cheap psu ;P but unfortunately the only other is my also cheap but well working coolmax ap-450x 400w

------------------

334 x9 250 ram, 3x htt, i'll try lower mem multi and come back with results. just under wasnt 3d stable through all of 3dm01, it's fail at the 13th test

running 330 with 150 divider and it's stable so far. 1.55v though :X also the pwm is 57C right now...--- well tried 3dmark03 and it made a whine noise and crashed- but it was on 2526 fps :sweat: restarted it, it's fine. probably need to go colder. So...

I've got a 226 watt tec from swiftech, my water block is the mcw5002-64. you think if i installed the tec that it would drive the temps down?

Forget what the ram is rated at, when running 4x512, the rams rated timmings go out of the window. DDR500 ram will only run at DDR500 if you have 1 or 2 sticks in. With 4 sticks in, the mem controller on the cpu is under much more strain. So the ram will not run at it's rated frequency. I have DDR600, when i run with 2 sticks i can run up to 318 fsb 1:1 no problem. The best the same ram will do with 4 sticks is 227 fsb on the 166 divider. As you can see, a huge difference.

Hello,

Probably not the problem, could be the timings.

Do you have a better PSU to try?

Your one costs around $26.

I'll second that! I have the same 550W Logisys PSU... it's a great PSU if you're running at stock settings... Ran my 7900GTX SLi setup just fine, despite the 'that won't work' comments I got :P but trying to OC with it is useless...

well no luck. either i'm maxed out, or being too shy on volts but i doubt it's that.

it took ~1.55+ to get 2.96g , not 3d stable either.

I'm looking into getting a new psu, but it'll have to wait, i need some cash$$:sweat:

---

any suggestions on a psu

?

this doesn't look much better than my old coolmax but maybe...:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817153052

this seems a bit pricey for what it is but...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817371006

this bad boy looks pretty sweet though with its four rails. i'm leaning towards this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817341010

You hav'nt got a cat in hells chance of running 4x512 at 250mhz in Windows

My complete and utter apologies rhkcommander959, I've just spent today running at 300x10 on the 166 divider, ram at 250fsb @ 2.5-3-3-5 orthos clear. I believed what i had read about running 4x512, and have been running mine at the settings in my OCDB entry for months. It just did'nt occur to me to try running at 250fsb+, because the view is that it can't be done. Well, it can so go for it and keep us posted.

Ah it's cool. i knew there's a reason amd put in dual channel support for 939 :)

the dividers can stress the memory controller on the proc i guess, so it is best to be gentle'r when going for a mondo -oc. But the only stress is doing the conversion so oc'ing it should stress it, the local heat should be the only irritate to it imho. But in all my testing, if you keep the ram speed the same, then your fine on an overclock.

Also took off the fan from my 64 freezer pro and am using that to cool the ram. cold to the touch now rather than cooking.

I think this silicon is maxed out, i cant get 3d stable on 2.95 and 1.55 volts. tried 1.6 too i think. temps were 38~. Maybe a pelt/more extreme cooling?