Sign in to follow this  
BuddTX

DFI 939 nF4 Expert Broken? Turns on then off in 1-3 seconds

OK, this is not the system in my SIG.

I was building another system, and I was ready for a kick butt system, I had OCZ RAM and OCZ power supply, a DFI Expert Motherboard, an Opteron 175 with the IHS removed, a TR SR-05, a Enzotech Ultra-X HSF, a 7590 Video Card, and a 10,000 RPM Hard drive, and 4 upgraded Silverstone 120mm fans.

I was going to be ready for some serious Overclocking.

I got everything set up, and added one hard drive, and turned it on, and it booted up to windows perfectly.

So, I decided to add my other 3 hard drives, my two DVD Burners, etc, and when I turned on my system, the PC powered up, but it would not boot.

After trying to clear the CMOS several times, I figured that some cable might have been unpluged, so I re-checked all the cables.

Still no luck.

So I disassembled the entire new system, and then re-assembled just the bare minimum components to boot up, and this time, the PC would only power on for 1-3 seconds, before turning off.

I tried clearing the CMOS several times, but with no success.

So I re-assembled my current pc (listed in my sig). So there was my entire weekend!

Any suggestions as to what is wrong?

Can I RMA my motherboard back to DFI?

Should I even fool with the 939 socket anymore, i mean, I have an Opteron 175, 2 gig of OCZ Platinum Ram, and a DFI Expert Motherboard, that is like 5 or 6 hundred bucks.

I tried keeping the CMOS on CLEAR for like 6 hours, and that did not help.

I think I will try putting in a stock 3000+ 939 chip that I have lying around, to see if my Opteron 175 with the IHS removed might be the problem.

At this point, I HOPE it is the processor, as I have already voided the warantee by removing the IHS.

I have nothing to loose by trying my 3000+ processor.

BUT I would appreciate any other suggestions!

OK, at this point, I think it is most likely the motherboard.

I put in my "virgin" 3000+ chip, and no luck at all, not even a 1-3 second power on-off.

I also re-seated the existing Opteron 175 and I had the same result.

So, I can either RMA the DFI Expert board, or buy a 939 Motherboard from Newegg. I would love to buy another Expert 939 Motherboard, but I seem to think they are scarce!

Why yes, Actually I do have another Power Supply!

It is actually a 20+4 pin Power Supply:

Broadway Com Corp P4-OKIA600-BLACK ATX 600W Power Supply

Not in the same class as an OCZ 700w PS, but hey, it just might work.

I originally bought this to build a "cheap" 939 system with my leftover parts, but decided to go high end, and this one has never been used.

ONE problem, however, this only has one 4pin CPU connector (CPU1) how do I hook this up to an EXPERT motherboard? Is there a 4 to 8 pin converter? Or do I convert a Molex connection?

ONE problem, however, this only has one 4pin CPU connector (CPU1) how do I hook this up to an EXPERT motherboard? Is there a 4 to 8 pin converter? Or do I convert a Molex connection?

(I love answering my own questions!)

THE SEARCH FUNCTION IS YOUR FRIEND!

Look on Page 68 of the Manual!

Your power supply unit may come with an 8-pin or 4-pin +12V

power connector. The +12V power enables the delivery of more

+12VDC current to the processor’s Voltage Regulator Module

(VRM). If available, it is preferable to use the 8-pin power; otherwise

connect the 4-pin power connector to CN9 as shown below.

8 •• 4 (Use this in you only have one 4 pin connector)

7 •• 3 (Use this in you only have one 4 pin connector)

6 •• 2 (Leave Blank)

5 •• 1 (Leave Blank)

Interesting! To check my powersupply (from the OCZ forms):

Q: I think my power supply is damaged! How can I check to see if it works?

A: The simplest way to check the status of your power supply is to jumpstart it with nothing but a fan or drive connected to it. In some cases, a motherboard may be shorting out on a case mount or something similar and this is causing your power supply not to power on. Jump starting the power supply lets you test it separate from the rest of your system to determine if it is the problem

Guest Blooz1

Do you know how to check your PSU using the "wire trick"??

1. Unplug your PSU.

2. Disconnect all connections on the MB, vid card, and drives, leave a couple of fans or 1 drive connected (so you'll have a load)

3. Take a small piece of wire or a paper clip and, using the MB connector, connect the green wire socket to any black wire (ground) socket.

4. Plug in PSU and turn on. Does the PSU fan spin or any lights come on? If not, your PSU's dead.