Sign in to follow this  
mrpoune

Memtest question

Hi,

I am trying to built a new rig with an ASUS P5K premium motherboard. When I run memtest on 2x1g memory I get errors. I tried them both individually and they both give errors.

If I run memtest twice on the same stick, should I get the exact same errors?

Thanks

Fred

Bad or undervolted RAM; check that the RAM voltage (in the BIOS) is set to the voltage the sticks are speced at.

Thanks,

Seem that you are right, at least for one stick....

My ASUS Board was not putting the right voltage at AUTO.. I manually put 2.30v like specified on the patriot memory. Memtest is still running.

Will let you know....

Oops, Pass 3 did not go thought...

Could it be a problem with the CPU or Board... Having 2 bad sticks is quite odd no?

Ok you are using value ram on a high test DFI board ... if you are wearing lucky charms and have recently won the lottery ... maybe ... otherwise don't hold your breath. I would not have been so brave.

Do you have another system to test them in?

dont look at my signature, that rig is working.... What I am trying to build is:

P5k Premium

Intel Q6600

Patriot Extreme 2x1g pc8500

Corsair 620hw

WD 320gb

I am trying to find a new rig to test them in...

Thanks

Yeah, if you're getting errors on both sticks, it's probably both low voltage and incorrect timings. Whereas both sticks could be bad, it's highly unlikely. I've never gotten a totally screwed kit before, and I build a lot of machines.

I have had similar issues with both DFI boards and Asus boards with Crucial and Patriot high end kits. I, however, was getting mem error on post. I had to boot to bios with 1 stick and manually set voltage and timings to the manufacturer's specs before I could begin to crank up fsb.

Are the sticks running at 800mhz when they error out on memtest?

Are you overclocking the cpu or raising fsb?

I only ask because drive strength and sub timings seem to become more critical as you aprouch ddr2 1000 and beyond.

If they are failing at 800mhz with the cpu at stock on each individual stick, then you might have a bunk kit.

Yeah, if you're getting errors on both sticks, it's probably both low voltage and incorrect timings. Whereas both sticks could be bad, it's highly unlikely. I've never gotten a totally screwed kit before, and I build a lot of machines.

I do agree though. It's highly unlikely that both sticks would be bad.

Give us a bit more info, and someone might be able to help.