Sign in to follow this  
Thasp

How do I make this slot 1 machine faster

I use it as a router/ftpd/project machine. I needed a little boost.. my friend sent me a PII 300 and a P3 katmai, the cheapest slowest one(I think 400-450).

After some messing around I got it to work, but I can only choose 200, 233, 266, 300, 333 MHz. Is there a way to go higher than that?

This machine isn't a retail release. It's an engineering sample from Intel made in the mid 90s, that I now use as a junk machine. A lot of normal stuff(optical drive support, etc), isn't supported. I have no clue what kind of board is in it. I had to use my solder iron through some plastic screws just so they'd come off so I could remove the CPU.

It's a slight boost, but the machine still sucks butt. I think if I could get 400 out of it, I could do what I want to do in realtime.

Thanks. :)

Are those speeds listed in the BIOS? If so, try looking for some jumpers or DIP switches on the motherboard, sometimes those give you a wider set of speed settings. What CPU do you have in it right now? I don't think you'll be able to get 400 MHz out of the P2, I think overclocking the CPU also increases the speed of the L2 cache SRAM chips and they don't go very high (they're on a fixed multiplier).

what speed is listed on the CPU?

I still have a slot 450mhz cpu and board and I maybe able to help you out...I can fire it and see what bios options it have...I think it's a Aopen board or a Tyan but I loaded XP to it at one time and it was pretty zippy for a 450mhz pII

There is a jumper on the board called config, I put it from 1-2 to 2-3 and when I start up I can now choose between 200-333 MHz.

I don't know the exact MHz of the PIII but I know it's in the 400s.

If you look at the top of the P3 it should have some stuff written on it that looks like 450/100/512/2.0. The first number is the CPU's speed.

being an engineering sample, there probably isn't an updated BIOS... so it looks like you might be stuck at 333 max... are there any indications on the board of a model number?