Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

so wait a minute...Open Office requires JRE???

Yeah so I'm checking out OO, and I'm noticing...it requires Java???

wtf?

Does anyone that is familiar with OO know exactly which components require Java?

I HATE JAVA AND I REFUSE TO INSTALL IT ON ANY RIG. Nothing but a hog + nasty little security risk.

Ok that's out of the way...I don't need the db components...mostly just Word, Excel, Outlook (not sure what their counterparts are called in OO).

Someone let me know exactly how I can use this program without installing stupid JRE (that installs itself every 4 days with an update but doesn't uninstall previous versions so after 3 months you go look in the Add/Remove programs and there's 9+ JRE's instead of just one...wtf? This is why Sun sucks)

You can definitely use OO without Java. Is this a Linux box? I'm not so sure about in Windows but I'm pretty sure you don't need it MS OS's as well.

There should be two versions one with java and one without unless the changed something since the last time I installed it.

It looks like you can just uncheck the java part before download now, they used to have seperate downloads for the versions.

i just want open office so i can use "word" and "excel" without having to install JRE

I don't need virtualization or anything...just a new office suite to try out without installing riskware (JRE)

I'll give it a checkout in a bit