Sign in to follow this  
drmalenko

Need GPU info from the well educated ones...

I know I have asked for alot of advice lately and its all been appreciated...

I went with the 6000 AM2 as was suggested by Angry and man its fast, fast enough Im not sure I will OC...lol

Ive been pricing a new monitor lately and unfortunately I dont know a whole lot about them. I decided that I wanted no less than a 22" and decided that a 24" would be the way to go however the price gap was a bit steep...

While casually wasting time in the mall the other day I walked past one of the little shops in the center of the isle and noticed a rather big LCD at a Dell stand.. and it looked very nice.. I came home and did some searching on it and decided that it was the way I was going...

The monitor was $100.00 off and then I found a coupon for another $350.00 if bought with the Inspiron. No dont get me wrong, the only reason for a prebuilt PC is to for your friends so that when they kill it with spyware the can call someone who pretends to care more than I do for their lack of PC knowledge.. (we all hate that 3am call, "whys my cd drive opening and closing itself" ? ... me sighs..

I had no use for the tower and saw an opportunity to sell the tower and a couple of spare parts I had laying around and make out with the 24" LCD for cheap.. so far that plan is working...

Now Im at the part where I know that my 6500 nvidia isnt going to suffice for the monitor and nor is the 1300 radeon that is back from the grave..

I was planning a video upgrade anyways but now need to make sure that what is purchased will carry the weight of the monitor and the resolution that it is and I havent got a clue which card will do it. The reason for the background info is so that you will know Im not made of cash, only way I got my hands on the 24" was by being thrifty....

This is the monitor

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...19&sku=320-5647

8800GTS 320?

8800GTS 640?

2900XT?

8800 ULTRA?

Oh and btw if any you are intrested in the same deal seeing how is you get a PC to sell and a 24" monitor for 669.00 shipped let me know I will get you the coupon code, however sale ends tonight (08-23)

The tower alone is selling for 300.00 on fleabay..blah..blah..(newegg.com doesnt have a 24" for 369.00 and unlike the newegg if it shows up with dead pixels you can classy lady enough and Dell will take it back... =-)

Thanks for the help guys!!

Chris

Any of the 8800s should handle it; but since it's a 1920x1200, I'd go with the 8800GTX or 8800ULTRA

Most definitely a GTX or Ultra as radodrill suggested. And at that resolution, I'm not sure how picky you are, but you may even want to upgrade soon, to a dual card solution or one of the newer Nvidia cards that will be here in a few months. So I would shoot for EVGA. They have the step up program, good prices, and great cards.

Right now the best performance vs price is the Evga 8800GTS 640mb which is currently running $367 from pricewatch.com. Right now this card is still fast as tits for anything you can throw at it, however with those kind of insane resolutions I would be careful and might save up for the extra speed of a GTX for future gaming such as with Crysis etc. If you dont insist on running games in 12,523x10,015 the 8800GTS 640 is more then adequate.

Check the FS section. Splave has a 8800 ultra for a good price. What is the most you can afford? Even though the 8800GTX would be able to run the native resolution the best, a 8800GTS would IMO still be very capable. My laptop with a 7900gs can run Oblivion at the lowest settings just fine. Even at 1920X1200.

Splave has a 8800 ultra for a good price. What is the most you can afford? Even though the 8800GTX would be able to run the native resolution the best, a 8800GTS would IMO still be very capable. My laptop with a 7900gs can run Oblivion at the lowest settings just fine. Even at 1920X1200.

The ultras are way out of my price range atm and probably will be for a while.. even used... =-(

I ended up ordering a 8800gts 640 for 389.00 with 30.00 MIR.. I hate MIR's but it was the best deal at the time and Im still trying to figure out how Im going to pay for it..lol

I hated the thought of the LCD showing up on thursday coming and not having a card that I could hook it up to immediately.. that would have killed me out right...

Now all I have to do is work 2 extra 12 hour shifts every pay period for the next 4 months to pay for it... capital one loves me...me sighs..

all of these purchases pushed watercooling to the back burner for a while, but thats ok, hopefully I wont have to upgrade for a while now... =-)

"whys my cd drive opening and closing itself" ?

LoL why DO they do that?

I got one PC here that drives me nuts with this problem :D

Sign in to follow this