Sign in to follow this  
cegras

OC'ing w/ CnQ?

I have a general knowledge of OC'ing, and I'm looking to safely put another 200 or so into my 3800+, to give it a bit of life and to see my investment give me a bit more performance than what my stock speeds are giving me.

I know that because multipliers are locked, you 'cheat' by raising the FSB, and thus, the core speed.

What I'm wondering is, can you still do this with CnQ enabled? If CnQ works by changing multipliers based upon CPU load, clocking up a 3800+ by raising the FSB would just increase the lowest speed by 200mhz as well, right?

From 1000 <-> 2000

to 1200 <-> 2200

Correct me if I'm wrong.

From my experience CnQ should always be disabled when overclocking. It should work, but will probably have stability problems. Don't quote me on that though, I've never had any reason to try it.

i belive that it drops the multi when it needs to so 300 x 9 will be 300 x 8 or what ever it needs to be

Nobody o/c's with it on whats the point just moniter your temps and you'll be fine

I should do more research on my cpu, but it's a 3800+ Toledo. I thought the only unlocked multipliers are ones going down, for the CnQ.

As far as I know, multipliers seem to range between 5 and 10, 10x200 fsb giving me the 2.0 ghz clock.

I was just wondering if, say, raising the FSB by 10, would result in any instability with CnQ, since according to my logic all it would do is raise both the upper and lower CnQ limits by 200 mhz.

I like CnQ because I enjoy seeing my temperatures drop below 30 during idle, and hang around 27~28. Allows me to keep my fans low and noise minimal during non-gaming stuff.

And I'm sure a 200 mhz OC would result in a good performance boost for games.

you proly can use C & Q successfully with the mild OC you propose.....sounds like you want the best of both worlds, a little kick for gaming and multitasking, then quiet for the other stuffs.

i see no reason for it not to work. most OC'rs will disagree (i am one of those people:) ), reasoning why would one want to UNDERCLOCK their processor while OVERCLOCKING in general.

can't hurt to try, see how it reacts, then report back, it would be interesting news i am sure.

laterzzzz..

:rolleyes:

Like you said: If I can get the best of both worlds, why the hell not? =P I'm conscious about the amount of heat / noise / power my box puts out and consumes, and since I'm not living by myself the impact my computer makes on the household is a source of worry for me.

Airflow in the case is not the best and thus I don't want my fans running at full blast or close just to keep an oc'd thing low on idle.

Anyways, I'll try it out this afternoon. Will report.

Nothing wrong with running C&Q on a OC'd rig. Every rig I own is running OC'd with either C&Q or C1E enabled. I don't clock my rigs the way I used to so a balance of power and silence has become my new main target..

I know people like "Orthos" or other programs, but quite frankly Everest Ultimate has a built in burn test that stresses CPU to 100% and system ram as well.

For what little OC I want to do, this should be sufficient, nay?

Orthos is free and known to work. Chances are a 200mhz oc will be stable period unless you muff your ram timings/settings. The lowest OC I've seen on an AMD processor is 600mhz...that is a crappy processor (needs 1.63v to go from 1.8 to 2.4, not really the best on air, but the temps stay within reason). As you can see in my sig, 900mhz on my Opty is no sweat. Basically, a 200mhz oc is virtually guaranteed.